• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna Analyzers

Lil'Yeshua

Nov 22, 2012
Pageland,S.C.
Hey guys! I'm thinking about getting a MJF-207 SWR Analyzer. I'm wanting to not spend too much money for one at this time. It will be something to help me set up my base antenna and others down the road. Does the MFJ-207 help in setting the gamma match? Plus,what all can SWR Analyzers do?
MFJ Enterprises Inc. :confused:

I wouldn't recommend the 207. You have to use a separate receiver or freq. meter to know exactly what frequency you're on. It tells you SWR but nothing else.

Download the manual for the 207 and also for the 259B or 269 and compare the capabilities.

I figure you read the reviews so you should have picked up on this thing being a 'ball-parker', and never being exact in anything. It can get you 'close' but that's it. If that's what you are after, then I think the '207 would be a reasonable thingy to use. If the antenna is close to start with then the '207 probably won't get you a little closer, depends on how close the antenna was to start with. It'll get you to the ball park, but it isn't going to find your seat for you.
I can certainly see where it would come in handy to have. It could save you a few trips up/down and in and out to check things with the SWR meter next to the radio. But so would a 'helper' at less expense. The '207 is an SWR meter with a low power transmitter and VFO attached. It can do anything a 'regular' SWR meter and your radio can do, but that's really about it.
So could it help in adjusting a gamma match? Sure. And it would be easier to use than hauling your radio and an SWR meter around with you, but that's it.
Also, if you read the reviews, you probably picked up on it having assembly problems. If you want that sort of complication, or can handle that sort of complication, it ought'a do okay for you.
A much better name for it would be a portable SWR tester, rather than an 'analyzer' of any sort, it doesn't 'analyze anything. The only thing different about it is that it has a 'coarse' variable frequency transmitter built-in.
Wanna have one? Get it! But don't expect to have anything close to an antenna analyzer.
- 'Doc

Thanks. I really do want a 'hand in glove' tuned antenna. I was disappointed in that the 207 does SWR. MFJ told me that the 295b would do the things I've read about. So,if I can swing a couple of bills more I can have the Mercedes instead of the Yugo.

Last edited:
I have to agree with the above comments. The 207 is indeed just an SWR meter that you can use anywhere and that's about it. The 269 is a MUCH better product from MFJ as it does a LOT more than just read SWR. I have the 269 and although there are better units by other manufacturers the MFJ-269 does everything i want it too at an acceptable price. My personal feelings are that if you get the 207 you will be disappointed but only you can be sure of that yourself.

If you plan to do only just a single antenna, or very seldom have to mess with an antenna, then a '259/'269 is sort of expensive. If you do antenna work fairly often then I think they are very good investments. Like all 'tools' you have to learn to use them for them to be of any account. Considering how misunderstood SWR/impedance matching is, that learning curve can get sort of 'steep' at times.
Personally, I wouldn't be without one if I could help it. They really can tell you a lot of things that an SWR meter can't. It's up to you though. do what you think best.
- 'Doc

I don't plan on using but on a blue moon.

I used a 207 for years before I finally bought the 259B. I tuned more antennas with the 207 than I can remember and it worked well. You can set the freq quickly using the receiver on a radio by listening for the tone as yoiu turn the frew dial on the 207. A bit inconvienient if your in a hurry but otherwise that little analyzer works well for hf.

In that case, I wouldn't recommend buying one.
Which just happens to make me think... I just happen to have this '259 that I'm not using... and for a small 'nominally' outrageous fee, I might be bribed into loaning it! Isn't that a marvel-i-us coin-in-sidence?
- 'Doc

In that case, I wouldn't recommend buying one.
Which just happens to make me think... I just happen to have this '259 that I'm not using... and for a small 'nominally' outrageous fee, I might be bribed into loaning it! Isn't that a marvel-i-us coin-in-sidence?
- 'Doc

Loan.....

Alright! Got it dialed in. A band;2:2:1 25.855 MHz. B band;1:6:1 26.305 MHz. C band; 1:1:1 26.755 MHz. D band;1:1:1 27.205 MHz. E band; 1:2:1 27.655 MHz. F band; 1:7:1 28.105 MHz Thanks to you guys!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 150
Here's another. Sirio has it right putting a rubber seal at the base of the whip itself to keep out moisture and a seal at the screw on bar where it attaches to the mag mount. Also,Sirio supplied a sheet of metal foil w/adhesive to seal the base and to keep out moisture. A problem K40 has with theirs. K40 let's water get inside with their mag mount which in turn raises the SWR. I almost have to glue some metal sheet steel on the inside if the roof to keep the roof sheet metal from flexing so much. Thicker material equals more magnet holding power.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 158
I have a MFJ207.
Serves the intended purpose of tuning antennas just fine.
If you have a radio within hearing range and have it on sideband you will know when you are whithin a couple hundred cycles. (close enough for antenna work)
If you find that too cumbersome for some situations you might find yourself in (outside or on the tower you can then note the dial indicator error (if any) and from that point on you can know where the frequency is, it won't be exact, but exact frequency is not usually necessary for tuning antennas

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.