1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Antenna basic infos.....

Discussion in 'Scanning & Shortwave Listening' started by Matthieu Deschamps, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Matthieu Deschamps

Matthieu Deschamps New Member

Ok now, I'm in my infancy in terms of shortwave and receivers, it's even worst when it comes to antenna.

I own an Icom R-9000 (surprising, isn't it :) and would like to have the best antenna possible.

At the present time, I have an approx. a 107 feet simple longwire, nothing more. Should I buy one ? Should I improve mine ? I don't even have an antenna tuner, and not sure what "end fed" really means...

My antenna is kinda 100 feet long and 30 feet high on one side going west, and about 7 feet on the other side on my door, going east. The junction between those two being above my door. So it's some kind of a "T", but disproportionate on the western side.

There is so much technical terms involved that I did not assimilate yet.....I feel lost in a see of infos....help :)

Thanks,
    Matt

2. Tallman

Tallman W9WDX Amateur Radio Member, KW4YJ EXTRA class

Go to eBay and get one of the QSO KING type antennas. It is my first ham antenna and it is still up. That should tell you something.
    If you handy you could make a fan dipole that will be resonant on multiple bands.
    http://hamuniverse.com/multidipole.html

3. sp5it

sp5it Master of puppets

For that scanner 15 antennas will be not enough.
    Mike

4. Tallman

I would suggest an antenna switch and the discone scanner antenna that will also transmit.

5. sp5it

sp5it Master of puppets

Transmit from R-9000, are you Houdini?

6. 338_MtRushmore

338_MtRushmore Well-Known Member

I searched ebay for qso king antenna, and got nothing relevant. Any more info? Thanks

7. Tallman

338_MtRushmore likes this.
  8. Tallman

As a matter of fact, YUP! I'm good but not even I can transmit from a receive only receiver.

#8 Tallman, Jul 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  9. Matthieu Deschamps

Matthieu Deschamps New Member

Transmit from a R-9000 ? Or course....it could serve as a microwave oven too, if you don't cool it properly :) Nah but seriously, I'm into receiving, not transmitting.

Matt

10. Tallman

Do you have your Ham License? If no, why not?