• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

antenna building (beam)

Number15

May 18, 2005
Stockton CA.
Hi, all im looking for info on building, a flat side beam 3 element for a first time project (11 meter.) Then will build larger later. any info helpful. and were would be a good place to get material. Thanks #15 Kevin (direct feed)

Yes, aluminum has really gone up in price over the
pasr few years. We just bought some heavy walled
aluminum to build a solid 5 element beam for a guy.( Jo-Gunn
sized elements and strength. EXPENSIVE!)
Replacing his Maco beam, which got wind twisted.
Click on link below to check out aluminum prices:
http://www.texastowers.com/aluminum.htm

The above link is not where we ordered our aluminum. The
Company name has excaped me for the moment. Will post
after i get info off my friend who has the receits.

But, your probably better off just buying a Maco beam as
Master Chief suggested.

Thanks guys for all that info, it would be faster for sure. to just buy it and cheaper too. thanks again. Kevin. Have any of u head of a single element beam?? and what would be the specs on something like that??

A one-element beam would be a dipole. Unity gain in dBd (when properly built and installed). Unity front-to-back ratio. Good side rejection (again, when properly installed).

DX Engenering for everything but the tubing. Like above Texas Towers for the tubing. DX Engenering has some great stuff. Check it out. Im thinking of building a 4 element myself.

Antenna Building - Beam

You can go to Maco's web site and download all the assy. instructions for all their beams free, and then you can pick the one you want to build. you can buy the gamma Match, or you can make your own, or you can look around the web for different matching devices to buy or build. There are even web sites to download optimizing programs, to refine general dimensions and improve the capabilities of the beam. Good luck which ever way you choose to go. Hoosier

If you want a small foot print, easy to build, 2-element beam that works GREAT, check out the Moxon!

For CB, the antenna is as follows (using 14ga wire):

The boom length is just under 5'! Yes, 5 feet for 2-elements!
It's only 13' wide, unlike most beams which are approx 18'. SWR across all 40 channels is less than 1.3.

A critical dimension is where the two element tips meet! For this antenna it's a gap of .361'. You can use any dielectric and drill a small hole to loop the wire through. A small piece of 1/4 wood dowel is cheap and easy! Just coat it with COAX-SEAL and black tape to protect the wood.

cbmoxon1.jpg

cbmoxon.jpg

You can download a the small FREE program to build the Moxon here:
http://www.qsl.net/ac6la/moxgen.html

You can make the frame out of 1X4 in the form of an X. Secure the wire to the wood with a staple gun (not stapler). Once you have the feel for the antenna, you can buy PVC (very flimsy) or fiberglass rods. I have used an old Cubix quad spider and fiberglass to make a stressed moxon. There are all kinds of options for the frame. Even an old reflector off of a Moonraker 4! Just make sure it is NOT conductive!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.