• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna causes distorted signal and higher output on the meter?

mr_fx

Oct 8, 2011
Kansas City
I built a dipole for 10m running it horizontal one leg of it runs about 3 foot above my roof the other leg is about 10 foot above my deck

It's being fed with some old RG8 I had laying around

the radio put out some where around 45-55 watts and sounds distorted on this antenna

it shows about a 1.5:1 SWR match at 28.415 Mhz

then the dummy load shows about 25 watts out

and the Maco V 5/8 which has a 2.2:1 SWR shows about 25 watts out and it sounds great (Tuned it for CB, just been too lazy to retune it for the HAM bands)

I had another General class HAM record me and play it back, while the dipole sounds louder it sounds quite overdriven

the Maco V 5/8 on the other hand sounds like butter

I really don't understand this...

An antenna is a dumb device, it doesn't modify the signal it gets, and by itself will not cause distortion. Even if an antenna is a five inch piece of wire on HF frequencies the modulated signal is still the same.

More likely there are common mode currents in the coax from this antenna and they are strong enough to interfere with the radio. Are you by chance using a balun/choke at the antenna feed point? Also, is the feed line running next to a radiating part of the antenna or is it routed directly away from it for at least 1/4 wavelength or so?

The DB

Reactions: 5 people
An antenna is a dumb device, it doesn't modify the signal it gets, and by itself will not cause distortion. Even if an antenna is a five inch piece of wire on HF frequencies the modulated signal is still the same.

I know, now you can see why I am scratching my head

I agree with DB. Antennas do not cause distortion directly but they can allow RFI to get back in the transmitter and mess with the speech amp or modulator circuits. Choke the coax on the dipole and it should help unless the antenna is just too close to the radio.

Reactions: 3 people
Mr FX I think the way you have this antenna installed is a big part of the problem. It would probably work better just laying on the ground. I agree with Shockwave and The DB regarding the common mode currents acting bad in the audio portion or Mic on your radio.

Reactions: 1 person
FX- the service manual for the HR25120 shows stock PEP SSB output in the range of 18-26 watts. That's about what mine shows out on SSB. So if you're seeing 45-55 watts on the dipole setup then RF is probably getting back into the radio and wattmeter, Causing audio distortion and the high reading on the meter.

I would suspect bad coax, solder connection or PL-259. It wouldn't hurt to have the dipole up away from the roof either.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.