• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

antenna/coax and heat/soot from fireplace exhaust

B

BOOTY MONSTER

my GF has a fireplace at her house . its a insert type that uses double wall metal pipe for the exhaust . the chimney is a typical 2x4 framed wall with black fiber board and siding to match the house . the home is about 10 - 12 yrs old . is this a safe place to attach a omni mast/antenna ? is heat and soot a big issue ? the antennas feed-point would be 3-4 ft above the cap and the coax would be on the opposite side of the mast from the chimney and will have loom over it . iv'e seen antennas on chimneys , but i dont know if they were still used for fires ........ i also haven't noticed this discussed here so i figured id ask .

thanks

I'm sure the heat exhausted would near 500 degrees within 3 feet of the top of the chimney so at 5 or 6 feet you should be safe but the coax would need to be clear of the heat also.

A quick-n-dirty answer is that while the heat may not affect things, the soot certainly can. Keeping the feed line and antenna out of both the heat and gunk coming out of that chimney is the idea. The 'doing' of it isn't as simple as it may seem. If you can figure a way to do that, then why not?
- 'Doc

(If that GF has a bear-skin rug, and likes wine... WHO CARES ABOUT THE @#$ RADIO ANYWAY?!)

(If that GF has a bear-skin rug, and likes wine... WHO CARES ABOUT THE @#$ RADIO ANYWAY?!)

Booty gets excited whenever he makes a good DX contact, so the radio is a necessity.:drool:

lol (y)

she's talking about wanting me too move in and im looking for antenna mounting locations..........a guy has to have priorities ya know :D . i can probably get within 4 or 5 ft of the same feedpoint on the other end of the house on the rake peak , so ill just do that .....unless she comes to her senses and changes her mind .

At least she is allowing you to have the radio in the house, that is a good sign.:D

yea , i expected much more , ummmm , "conversation" about it but she gave in pretty easily . i suspect there will be a more in depth "conversation" about it once it's up ..... :LOL::LOL::LOL: . and i still haven't decided if i want to move yet .

The heat should not be a big deal as it won't be all that hot at all a couple feet above the flue. The soot is another thing however.It is corrosive and may cause corrosion of the metal parts of the antenna not to mention the carbon is conductive and may coat any insulators negating their properties as an insulator.

The soot is another thing however.It is corrosive and may cause corrosion of the metal parts of the antenna not to mention the carbon is conductive and may coat any insulators negating their properties as an insulator.

chimney mounting is definitely out now :thumbdown:

i did not know soot was corrosive or conductive , thanks CK (y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio