• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna? Coax? Location? NOISE!

W0FRG

Jul 16, 2009
Saint Ann, Missouri
I have a buzzing on 40 meters. Every 16 kilohertz on the phone portion starting at 7.128, 7.144, 7.160, 7.176 and so on. Only on the vertical. Not on the inverted V G5RV.

Antennas are as follows:

Vertical: Zero-five 43 foot, 50 feet of "good" coax to the shack.

Inverted V G5RV: 32 foot, 10 foot on the ends 100 feet of "good" coax to the shack.

Both go to the tuner, rig, then amplifier.

Anybody have any suggestions or solutions? I'm at a loss on this one.

Jim,
W0FRG

Have computer in radio room? Monitors put out noise like that. Turn off & unplug the monitor and see if it goes away.

If that's it, go into Control Panel, Monitors, then change the display resolution up or down one setting. See how that effects the noise.

Good luck

That TV idea did the trick. The big, older Sony 32" in the living room is the culprit.

Many thanks!

Jim, W0FRG

Glad you found it. Noise problems can drive you crazy sometimes trying to find the source. About two years ago I started to get a high noise level below 20m that would be around S-7. After a couple days I found the culprit.We had just bought a new logic controlled front loading washer/dryer set and the power supply in the dryer was emitting crap all the time whether in use or not.The solution was to go to the basement and flip the breaker to the dryer off when ever I wanted to work the low bands. That worked well for about a week until the washer arrived,there was a problem delivering both at the same time due to stock.I then noticed an S-9 noise that would come and go.That one puzzled me for a while due to the intermittant nature.Then I finally found that when the washer went through a certain cycle where the drum would first spin one way and then pause and then spin the other way it coincided with the noise I was hearing. The solution to that was to disallow the wife to do laundry on Sunday mornings when the 80m AM net was happening. :whistle:
Ahhh yes, noise sources are such fun to find. :headbang:headbang:headbang

Yeah, the washing machine on the other side of the house is the devil for me and I know whenever it's running if my radio is on :)

Central air conditioning gives me RF noise. Although I love the sumemr, I'm glad fall weather is finally here so I won't have to live with that racket. I also get it from the flatbed scanner, even if it's just plugged in. Needless to say, that things stays unplugged when not in use.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.