• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna Coax Recommendation please

I will spend 90% of my time be on channel 19 i.e. 27.185 mhz Truckers channel.
and skimming up and down when no trucker's are in the area
I know the lower cb channels are in 26 mhz.

I am not going to speak as to the accuracy of this particular chart. I am providing it to give you an idea of the change in attenuation and power handling in regard to frequency. It isn't so much in single MHz steps. It is larger changes in frequency that changes the attenuation.

Coaxial Cable Attenuation Chart

According to hyperphysics.com, the human ear's threshold of sensitivity is around 4 db. That in perspective, @30 MHz the difference between .6 db loss of LMR400 and 1.7 db loss of LMR200 is irrelevant. It won't even show up on the S-meter for incoming signal to your radio or the receiving radio. I wouldn't spend more than double the money for no noticeable gain.

I think 'roadrage' pretty well summed it up. Until the losses get 'large' there's no -practical- benefit from using the 'best' coax made at HF. It's all frequency and length related. In most cases, a 'lesser' cable will work just fine with no noticeable difference.
- 'Doc

As you go up in frequencies losses only get worse.

The DB

I will spend 90% of my time be on channel 19 i.e. 27.185 mhz Truckers channel.
and skimming up and down when no trucker's are in the area
I know the lower cb channels are in 26 mhz.

When it comes to increased losses as the freq. is increased we are not talking about going up in channels but rather by steps in octaves. Zero difference between channel 1 and channel 40. We are talking about going from 27 MHz to 50 MHz or 150 MHz or 500 MHz.

This is going to be a Base station talking to mobile stations if that makes a differace. I want everyone of my 4 watt's stock CB to get to the mobile stations... I want to 5 and 9 on their S-meters when they are with in range...LOL
Is the Maco V-5000 a good antenna choice? or should I go with the Gain-Master?????

I think 'roadrage' pretty well summed it up. Until the losses get 'large' there's no -practical- benefit from using the 'best' coax made at HF. It's all frequency and length related. In most cases, a 'lesser' cable will work just fine with no noticeable difference.
- 'Doc

That's pretty much the short version of what the Times Microwave rep told us at last month's Ham club meeting. (y)

RT307

This is going to be a Base station talking to mobile stations if that makes a differace. I want everyone of my 4 watt's stock CB to get to the mobile stations... I want to 5 and 9 on their S-meters when they are with in range...LOL
Is the Maco V-5000 a good antenna choice? or should I go with the Gain-Master?????

the maco is ok . id hear the workman copy ismade better. 5-9 is possible but at what distances are we talking about??also landescape can/will interfer to. if ya gotta lotta
hills around you like me you may do better with a sirio m-400. for coax id go for lmr 400
especially if money is no issue . afterall your antenna /coax will detrime how well you tx/rx
reguardless of radio.HOWEVER make sure you get thier U.F. version or ultra flex. its
easier to work with . other question is 100 feet really needed??? if not then i highly
recommend against it. excess coax =extra loss

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.