• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna Coax Recommendation please

DualAntennas

Oct 6, 2013
Antenna Coax Recommendation please.....
Just as the title says. I am hooking up an antenna for CB radio.
and I Don't want to play around with LMR-400 or Belden 9914 I am serious....
I want to know what is the biggest baddest lowest loss coax... you can possibly put PL-259 male connectors on? I want the best of the best here... with money being no object.

LMR-400 or Belden 9913 unless you want to heliax but you really don't want to do that. How long of a run are you going to have? Btw for 27mhz LM-400 is serious coax.

Last edited:
Mobile or base?

How long run?

Future expected power requirements?

So far, LMR-240 sounds best for you.

IDK what your wanting. Are you wanting something bigger than LMR-400 or 9913?

Its going to be a Base Station Contacting a mobile station regularly for about a 100 ft. of coax run i.e. trucks in the area
I want the biggest stuff you can put CB Connectors on

Doesn't take a moderator to answer that question.

A hunnert feet of 9913 or LMR400 or even LMR240 would be fine.
You could get the Heliax stuff; but at that length there wouldn't be much of a difference between the coax previously mentioned.
Heliax is very expensive and so are the connectors.
Best used for VHF or UHF radios; not needed for CB stuff at 100 ft or less.

Cheap coax is just that. It doesn't take too much exposure to the elements before it breaks down over a period of time. It has more loss on receive and transmit. The materials used to make it are just crap. It is never a bargain when you look at it like that.

Belden ('9913') or Times/Microwave ('LMR 240/400') make quality stuff.
You will be more than pleased with either brand.

Last edited:
I like Times Microwave, personally. For a hundred foot run it is not necessary, but if money is no object LMR 400 would be the "biggest and baddest coax" and it will fit into a PL259. You could go with either LMR240 or even LMR200. Both are pretty comparable in attenuation and power handling. The LMR200 costs less, but my choice would be the LMR240

Times microwave lmr400 is the biggest coax that will fit the pl259 connectors I believe, anything larger and you will need at least 1/2" n-male connectors or 7/16" din male connectors. If you are wanting a coax that can handle power, I assume this as this is why you are asking for the largest, but Andrew ldf4-50b 1/2" superflex or ldf4 1/2" heliax coax will work. You will probably need the n-male or din male connectors for the latter 2 coax cables I have listed, don't know if Andrew makes a pl259 connector that fits the 1/2" coax. Good luck and hope you get it sorted out.

FWIW yes Andrew does make PL-259 connectors for the LDF-4 heliax cable. I have several in my runs of it.

As for cable for CB, money may be no object however knowledge is. Going from Belden 9913 or LMR-400 to heliax will save you a whopping 1dB or thereabouts mayne less. Less than 1/4 of an S-unit on the meter however the wallet will be considerably lighter.

I want sure as I haven't used them on the ldf4 or superflex personally. I thought they might but didn't want to lead anyone in the wrong direction. I was just posting what else I thought he might want to use. I know it's not cheap, and it doesn't perform any Better, guess it's the way he asked. As if money isn't a factor. Thanks for the clarification on the connectors, at least now I know I can order some for myself when I setup my own base station.

Seriously, LMR-400 or 7/8" Heliax cable is low loss and expensive. But you could try RG-213/U. Easier to work with than either LMR-400 and definitely a lot easier than 7/8" Heliax. If you want maximum shielding then get RG-214/U (previously RG-9/U) which is double shielded RG-213/U cable. Both RG-213/U and RG-214/U are 50 ohm cables with non-contaminating jacket and polythene dielectric. Not as low loss as a foam dielectric cable, but is more crush resistant, and more impervious to water migration.

Mike

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.