• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna Coax Recommendation please

The company I'm buying from in going to solder install both pl-259 ends and shrink wrap both ends free of charge.

What does that have to do with crush resistance or water infiltration? Since you quoted KC9Q in regards to that and then said you are having the dealer install the connectors I can only surmise one has to do with the other somehow.

The company I'm buying from in going to solder install both pl-259 ends and shrink wrap both ends free of charge.

If they're doing all that work, you may want to ask them. Just because it is possible to put an end on some piece of heliax doesn't necessarily mean they will do it.

As others have said, the biggest and baddest coax you can get isn't necessarily the best option. As was said above, the minimal gains you will get over RG-213, or even good quality RG-8X of the same length you will not notice.

Times Microwave RG-213 will have 1 dB in losses from the coax, an amount you will be hard pressed to detect. Times Microwave LMR-400 will have 0.6 dB in losses. If losses are your concern perhaps you should consider a balanced feedline system.

Of course if your goal is to have the fattest feedline just because you can, well, go for it. You would be wasting cash that you could... I dunno... give me or something... I would definitely find a more worthy use for it...

The DB

If it's for local use then in my opinion,I wouldn't splurge on the expensive stuff. However,what would be the reasons to get the good stuff? If you're on the ham bands you may want the best especially when making DX contacts or/and just want something that actually performs well. For CB use I don't think it's critical unless you're talking to someone direct 60 or more miles away. My CB neighbor with the V58 up 60 ft in a tree with RG8X and a Palomar 250 Elite peaking 350 watts talked with an operator in Myrtle beach the other morning while the band was still quiet,before skip land woke up. That's 114 air miles and I heard the MB guy while sitting in my mobile. The guy in Myrtle Beach was running power as well and was loud as all get out.

My CB neighbor was talking on a NOS GE 3-5814A with stock hand mic and the modulation set up for his voice http://tjpeiffer.com/crowflies.html.

He talked to Granddad in Wilmington,NC too. 145 air miles.

Last edited:
The good stuff doesn't really make that much of a difference if your DX'ing. Where it makes a difference is the higher frequencies. The higher you go in frequency the more in losses the coax will have over a given length.

For example, 100 feet of Times Microwave LMR-400 will have 0.7 dB loss at 27.185 (middle frequency of the CB band). In the 6-Meter ham band the same coax will have 1 dB in losses. In the 2-Meter ham band you are looking at 1.7 dB in losses. The 70-Cm band we are up to 3 dB in losses. 3dB is half of the power that leaves the transmitter is lost before it gets to the antenna.

As you go up in frequencies losses only get worse. You see the same coax that is overkill at cb frequencies for a 100' run is showing its weakness now. 1 GhZ the same coax has 4.6 dB in losses, 2 GhZ your up to 6.7 dB in losses, that is less than 25% of the transmitted power actually makes it to the antenna. At 3 GhZ your at 8.3 dB, and 4 GhZ your at 9.8 dB in losses, which is almost 90% of your transmitted power gone.

Many high quality feedlines are not designed or intended for use at CB frequencies, and some data sheets actually start the loss info at 500 MhZ. Unless your planning on running a ton of power, or have an excessively long run, LMR-400 is serious overkill. If you really need better than that you should look into a balanced feedline setup. They have their quirks, but are really only effective at HF and lower frequencies, although it has been used in the lower VHF band as well. Even when operating at a fairly high SWR and a good tuner, LMR-400 really can't compete with balanced feedline. And as an added benefit, its cheaper as well...

The DB

Reactions: 1 person
You may be better off reading up on cable types, usage and loss before you purchase. Like it's been said before you wont notice the difference between RG8, Rg213 , 9913 belden .But if you just want to spend a lot of money, go for ldf- 450 hard line, it's a bitch to run, wont go round corners, hard to fit connectors ,but has very very low loss at 27 mhz and will cost you a bomb. Money is no object is not really a good selection criteria. Different cables for different jobs.

That's why I originally what I posted as he said money wasn't an object. LDF4-50A or FSJ4-50B
which is 1/2" superflex. But everyone is right in saying that for cb or 27mhz applications. LMR400 will do just fine. I do agree, I guess the question so really remains as to what frequency the cable will be used for and how much power is intended on being used. here is a photo of the listed coax left to right, ldf, 1/2" superflex and lmr400 plus
dagegu4a.jpg

Just so you can see the size and difference.

After all the help I've gotten from all the knowledgable people on this site I myself went with the LMR 400 from TIMES MICROWAVE. I purchased it on ohgeebay. Bought 145 ft and 4 3ft jumpers. All the info. And researched I did all the questions asked and answered and that product kept coming up. So that's what I bought. Just oddered it yesterday. Can't wait to get going. PS Kim at TM was also a great help. I will let everyone know how the install went.

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.