• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna coil height???...

hollywoood

Dec 4, 2011
was told when you run two antennas on a tractor trailer tractor, (one on each side), it's not necessary to get the antenna coils above the roof line, would you people agree? Thank you!!!

Not true...It's always best to have the coils above the roof line...

However on something like a tractor trailer rig..."Good Luck". Don't think I have ever seen a Big truck that had co-phase or even just one antenna, where they managed to get the coil over the roof....Plus with cabs being mostly fiberglass your probably not going to pick up as much reflect as someone in a pick-up that has a metal cab.

Thank you for your reply,... we were talking about the cab roof line, mine still being metal... I thought it would be better to get the coil(s) above as much metal as possible, but unfortunately, there's no getting around the box trailer "blocking" the signal from behind, correct?

Thank you for your reply,... we were talking about the cab roof line, mine still being metal... I thought it would be better to get the coil(s) above as much metal as possible, but unfortunately, there's no getting around the box trailer "blocking" the signal from behind, correct?

You can still see some directional interference with metal objects up to 9' away to the sides of the coil such as smoke stacks but with 2 antennas it will not be as noticeable.

I will help to use dual coil antennas in this instance as the whips will be shorter thus not allowing them to bend towards the smokes stacks and will aid in keeping the swr in check for this very reason.

It all boils down to nearby metal affecting the electrical field of that coil. Distance, either above or sideways can minimize that affect, but that 'sideways' is usually more difficult to obtain than the 'above' thingy.
That "affecting the coil's field" can be compensated for, but it's not all that easy in most cases. It's still going to affect the results/performance, but who knows exactly how.
Do what you can and don't worry unnecessarily about it. It may not produce the -best- results, but who'z ever had a "best" antenna anyway?
- 'Doc

Get them above as suggested and it may help to tilt them forward just a bit if you have stacks especially dual. Not a lot mind you but maybe 7 degrees or so. it did with my set up using two predator 10K's with 17" bottom shaft, dual coil.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.