• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base antenna elements

Arkieguide

May 27, 2018
Probably very basic to you folks. I am building a 3 element CB base antenna. QUESTION - do I bolt my aluminum elements directly to a metal boom - are separate them with insulating pads. Getting back in after 30 years absence.Forgot most of what I knew. Any way I have the aluminum for the elements but thought of using PVC pipe for the boom which would separate the elements from the boom.. are maybe steel tubing and insulate the elements from the boom. SUGGESTION please.

Thanks
arkieguide

I guess I will use aluminum elements connected to a 10' piece of EMT. That connected to a steel piece into my rotor, then to my steel mast, I will use a 1-1 balun. Then 50' from antenna a coax ground block. Thanks for your help

sp5it - simple 3 element beam - the DE positive and negative separated by 2 " with a fiberglass rod , it will not be connected to the boom. Antennas are nor as simple as some people say.

sp5it - simple 3 element beam - the DE positive and negative separated by 2 " with a fiberglass rod , it will not be connected to the boom. Antennas are nor as simple as some people say.

Starting with the fact that there is no positive or negative parts of an antenna element. RF is AC and as such has no fixed polarity.

Reactions: JAF0 and sp5it
First I refer to positive & negative - looking at the sine wave up and down is goes - down is negative up is positive. I did not want to get into advanced discussion . I do not know it all - unlimited master electrician ship & shore- Elec. Eng. - not a smart ass. you are correct sp5it.I get so many different answers to my antenna question. It gets confusing. The fed element is isolated from the boom, so I wonder why the other 3 could not be isolated.
If all 3 are isolated then a steel boom is ok to get more strength. I chose the 3 element for space and weight. I started out with a 4 element but dropped to 3 to save space and boom length. Thanks for ant help you can give me.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.