• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna height help

DragoSapien

KF5AEJ
Dec 28, 2008
Ft.Stockton, Tx.
In the small town we live in, there is a small airport that is only used for small planes. Three of four I think. Is there a nataniel or state standard on the hight or dose it depend on the airport. I think the county takes care of it. Who exactly do I ask.
Thanks for any help.

You need to read and be familiar with 47 CFR Part 95, which is the FCC rules for CB and other personal radio services. Specifically paragraph 95.408(d):

(d) If your CB station is located near an airport, and if your antenna structure is more than 6.1 meters (20 feet) high, you may have to obey additional restrictions. The highest point of your antenna must not exceed one meter above the airport elevation for every hundred
meters of distance from the nearest point of the nearest airport runway.
Differences in ground elevation between your antenna and the airport runway may complicate this formula. If your CB station is near an airport, you may contact the nearest FCC field office for a worksheet to help you figure the maximum allowable height of your antenna. Consult part 17 of the FCC's Rules for more information.

Warning: Installation and removal of CB station antennas near powerlines is dangerous. For your safety, follow the installation directions included with your antenna.

The section Beetle quoted applies to CB, not Ham radio.

KF5AEJ is a Ham, so this is what applies to him:

§97.15 Station antenna structures.

(a) Owners of certain antenna structures more than 60.96 meters (200 feet) above ground level at the site or located near or at a public use airport must notify the Federal Aviation Administration and register with the Commission as required by Part 17 of this chapter. (b) Except as otherwise provided herein, a station antenna structure may be erected at heights and dimensions sufficient to accommodate amateur service communications. [State and local regulation of a station antenna structure must not preclude amateur service communications. Rather, it must reasonably accommodate such communications and must constitute the minimum practicable regulation to accomplish the state or local authority's legitimate purpose. See PRB-1, 101 FCC 2d 952 (1985) for details.]

Oops! I didn't read the fine print! :blush:

That admission made, however ... KF5AEJ needs to read and become familiar with 47 CFR Part 97, rather than Part 95. By signing the license/paperwork, you certify you have a copy or have access to the document via computer.

You don't have to memorize the whole body of the documents, but you have to know where to look up the answers to questions that may come up.

Oops! I didn't read the fine print! :blush:

That admission made, however ... KF5AEJ needs to read and become familiar with 47 CFR Part 97, rather than Part 95. By signing the license/paperwork, you certify you have a copy or have access to the document via computer.

You don't have to memorize the whole body of the documents, but you have to know where to look up the answers to questions that may come up.

gee, i have heard that before, but, my copy of 97 doesn't say that in 97.501 (or anywhere else that i have found). am i missing it somewhere?

I haven't studied every aspect of the rules, but I do recall something about any antenna structure exceeding 200 ft you have to run it past the FAA, and I believe it has to have a flashing red light at the top.....

Again, I'm just going on a few points I retained after scimming through the rules, no doubt I missed a few important points there, and could have it all wrong. None of my antennas exceed 25 ft. so I'm not real concerned about height regulations......

gee, i have heard that before, but, my copy of 97 doesn't say that in 97.501 (or anywhere else that i have found). am i missing it somewhere?

I've always thought that was one of the things Moses brought down from the mountain, but I haven't found it.

However, if any licensed ham is found to be in violation of any requirement of Part 97 (or any of the OTHER applicable parts of 47 CFR that apply to general administrative matters and such), I bet "ignorance of the law" wouldn't be much of an excuse.

And by signing the license paperwork, you are certifying that you will abide by the rules. How are you to know what the "rules" are unless you actually have a copy of the current version, either in print or on line?

Antenna height ??

If I recall-anything that is 200 ft tall must be strobe lighted-painted-the FAA notified
and the FCC notified-it also depends on how close you are to airports and other structures in the areas airspace . Few if any amateur stations have 200 ft towers ?? do they?Might be somekind of city/village/homeowners restrictions too.If your in a farily rule area I wouldnt worry abt a tower up to say 170 Ft.for amateur radio-thats a whopper of a
tower Id say.Even a 70 ft HDX US Towers crank-up is a beast to me-thats what I have my
Mosley Pro on top off-Id say 50 ft Rohn-25g/45g a go !??A lot of variables in antennas/WL
heights-anyways...........ramble on....Good luck/be Safe watch out for powerpoles/lines
wear propper saftey belt etc-make a plan-Better a good tower and antenna -then an amplifier-you need to Hear them First-

PAUL -K8PG-CW GETSERDONE !!!!!!!

I haven't studied every aspect of the rules, but I do recall something about any antenna structure exceeding 200 ft you have to run it past the FAA, and I believe it has to have a flashing red light at the top.....

Again, I'm just going on a few points I retained after scimming through the rules, no doubt I missed a few important points there, and could have it all wrong. None of my antennas exceed 25 ft. so I'm not real concerned about height regulations......

That's covered by Part 17. Here's a good link to ALL the "Parts" of 47 CFR:
FCC Parts

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.