1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Antenna length for walkie talkie

Discussion in 'CB Antennas' started by EricExtreme, Jul 5, 2017.

1. ALVIN

ALVIN Member

Oh.. been wondering.. will I need to install some kind of a counterpoise to increase efficiency? Just wondering..

Attached Files:

2. Handy Andy

Handy Andy Do Your Research First, Then Decide...

There is a write-up about it, Here

10 meter and 12 Meter...posted in 2011, so I can hope they made some improvements...

IT will need help in antenna and counterpoise.

So since I know so little about that "box" I can only hope the BNC contains a separate connector you can use to hook up coax to a more dedicated antenna - even a thown-up-into-a-tree - can help

tecnicoloco and ALVIN like this.
  3. ALVIN

ALVIN Member

Thank you.. yes.. was wondering if after installing a 130cm / 51" (1/8 wave) BNC connected antenna an counterpoise would improve the performance of the handheld radio. Probably I can attach a wire into the "negative" part of the BNC to act as a counterpoise and still been able to maintain the portability (keeping it as a handheld) of the whole set up. But is it worth it? That is my question... Thanks...

4. Rick330man

Rick330man WDX 404

Sometimes, I'll just use an adapter so I can run the AH100 to an external antenna. That antenna is frequently my simple little 1/4 wave dipole: a 102" piece of 3/4" aluminum; a rail mount and a 102" stainless steel whip on top. I take it on my boat and have managed to talk to Hawaii's big island while I was anchored off an island here in the Keys running barefoot.

tecnicoloco likes this.
  5. r carl

r carl Well-Known Member

I have a TRC 217 and it has an antenna input on the side, what adapter do I need to connect it to a PL259?

6. Handy Andy

Handy Andy Do Your Research First, Then Decide...

TRC-217 - That jack for the EXT antenna..

Does it look like this....
    upload_2020-10-4_12-25-44.png

Then you need a Motorola to SO-239....

Looks like a long stereo plug - adapted to an SO-239...
    [​IMG]
    Also goes by AD259X
    [​IMG]

7. r carl

r carl Well-Known Member

Yes that's it! I guess it does look like a RCA jack. :)
    Thx!

Handy Andy likes this.