• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna location, worst case scenario ...

GnG8d

Jun 28, 2010
Ohio
Hind sight being 20/20 I would have set the pole farther from the tower, but being what it is, how much of a hinderence will the tower be to an omni if I mounted one on the pole? The tower will hold a horizontal beam, so I'm not too worried about the beam being effected by the omni, but should I expect a null from the omni in the direction of the tower? I think there is enough distance that I won't realize any reflect issues, but what exactly should I expect?

Also note, having the omni isn't imperative, so absolute maximum performance isn't that important. We actually have very little local traffic anymore, but I have an extra base radio and thought I'd hook it up for some local and DX monitoring.

Opinions?

26d5c969.jpg

I don't think I'd call it the worst case, but it'll sure not be the best case. The two antennas will affect each other, can't say how much, or in what way though. I seriously doubt if the omni-antenna will have a 'null' in the direction of the tower, but a slightly reduced reception is likely.
An omnidirectional antenna isn't just for local stuff, they do pretty good with signals from about any distance and are certainly 'DX'-able. It won't produce the signal level that a beam will in the direction the beam's pointed, but that's what a beam is for, right?
Are there 'better' ways of doing it? Of course, but those 'better' ways may not 'fit' your circumstances. Wait and see how things go. It may not be bad at all.
- 'Doc

If the vertical is Imax, Sirio GainMaster, or A99; it could be put above the beam.
If it is a ground plane type antenna, then there will be interactions between them if you plan to mount it too close to your tower. Unless they are a wavelength or greater apart.
Just sayin . . .

If the vertical is Imax, Sirio GainMaster, or A99; it could be put above the beam.
It's a quad Robb, no can do.

No Doc, it isn't ideal. I put a makeshift omni mount on the house after I took the old tower/vertical yagi down to use during reconstruction of the new tower. When I decided on the quad I hadn't really planned on putting another omni back up at all, but after standing back looking at it, it looks like the perfect omni mount and I have a spare run of coax.

I could make a better mount on the house for the omni if the interaction were too bad, but the house is a good 20-30' lower elevation than the tower location. My biggest fear is messing the beam up, I wouldn't be too concerned with the omni.

Hind sight being 20/20 I would have set the pole farther from the tower, but being what it is, how much of a hinderence will the tower be to an omni if I mounted one on the pole? The tower will hold a horizontal beam, so I'm not too worried about the beam being effected by the omni, but should I expect a null from the omni in the direction of the tower? ]

Sorry; I read 'horizontal beam' and took it from there . . .

Sorry; I read 'horizontal beam' and took it from there . . .

I thought about putting it up vertical, but the local traffic is so widespread these days that it's almost not even worth messing around with the omni.

That dead man you have on the anchor pole is counter productive, it should follow the same path as the guy wires.

is it possible to put a tri pod on the roof of house and mount it there?
if not i would just mount it to the house. now ya said the elevation is lower there
but if your worried too much of its performance then id say go for it.id definately
wouldnt mount it close to that beam

is it possible to put a tri pod on the roof of house and mount it there?
if not i would just mount it to the house. now ya said the elevation is lower there
but if your worried too much of its performance then id say go for it.id definately
wouldnt mount it close to that beam
I'm not really wanting an antenna on the house. I do have another pole out back, but I'm afraid of noise from the security light mounted on it.

I'll just finish the beam deal first .......... one thing at a time I suppose.

I can only pull in the direction of the tower base because of a big bank.

Then you are better off without it, the more tension you apply the less tension you have on that guy wire.

You're better off with a jack pole there, adjustable if possible.

Then you are better off without it, the more tension you apply the less tension you have on that guy wire.

You're better off with a jack pole there, adjustable if possible.

I'm not understanding you I don't think.

I used 2 pullies on the pole and 1 one the tower, plus the rope is tied off at the top on the tower. The free end of the rope will be hooked to a tractor or 4wheeler and then tied off to a cleat lagged to the pole. Then opposing tension will be applied thru the 4 remaining guy ropes.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio