1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Antenna location

Discussion in 'CB and Export Equipment and Accessories' started by Ziploc, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Ziploc

Ziploc Well-Known Member

Morning guys, I’m going to try this on my xterra . Were for best overall performance. Front/ rear , drivers or passenger side . Thank upload_2020-3-15_11-12-30.jpeg

2. RT431

RT431 In the swamp

Why not in the center?

3. Ziploc

Ziploc Well-Known Member

No bar runs in center. And not paying 75.00 plus for tri mag mount

357magnum and Tokin like this.
  4. Tokin

Tokin The Man With No Shoes

I wouldnt either but I would pay $55.
    My tri mount holds a 102" ss in place quite well. Im sure it would be overkill for your antenna but well worth the $50 investment to keep it in place.
    MFJ 336M $54.95
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/113200046573

Tallman, TheRATT and Redbeard U812 like this.
  5. BammBamm

BammBamm Instigators ...173 on the southside.

I just lost a Tram triple mag mount that had a Tram TBC-9 antenna in it as it blew off my roof at about 65 mph! I have ordered a Sirio performer 5000 that I should have tomorrow. For any of you considering or even using a Tram triple mag mount if you take it apart you would be shocked to see the poor craftmanship in these as the coax is not soldered or even securely affixed but instead it is sandwiched against washers to make electrical contacts!

357magnum, Slowmover and TheRATT like this.
  6. M0GVZ

M0GVZ Sr. Member

You don't want to be attaching it to the bars anyway, your RF ground is actually the bars and not the roof of the vehicle. You also don't want to be using a magmount.

I would spend the money and get a puck mount from Breedlove Mounts, drill a hole in the middle of the roof and do the job properly.

357magnum and Tokin like this.
  7. HomerBB

HomerBB Sr. Member

I once manufactured my own crossbar for an SUV I owned.
    That said, I would mount it on the driver's side above the front and back door joint. Fewer roadside obstructions and more central to car mass.

Slowmover and Tokin like this.
  8. Tokin

Tokin The Man With No Shoes

Generally my first reply is "Puck It" but today too many folks dont actually own their cars, the bank does so most folks arent willing to drill holes in their roof.
    Second choice for me is a mag mount and I sure trust 3 over one.
    When I used my triple mag I mounted it with 2 mags in front, one in back. I put it on my nissan pickup back in Washington state and had no problems at 55 mph or so with my 102 on it.
    I.agree with the shoddy construction but thats easy enough to fix. We love to modify stuff anyhoo (y)

Slowmover likes this.
  9. Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna Sr. Member

Do those metal tubes run into plastic housings? If so, you won't ground to vehicle.

10. turborich

turborich Cheerleader

Top middle is always the best with lowest SWR's.

undertaker likes this.