• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna matcher

I just installed a RF Limited AT-KWI antenna matcherfor my base station Cobra 148GTL with a Patriot 12' two piece fiber glass antenna. My SWR were just under 2 by a hair. I adjusted the two tunning rings to there max settings and that was the best I could do. This antenna matcher seems simple but solidly built and zero'd my swr's. Any pro's or con's on this set up?

I have the patriot p-99 and found it to be very narrow banded. I read a few reviews on the patriot and your high SWR is common it seems. I'm not a fan of tuners but if it's working?

Be aware that you still have the losses in the feedline from the "matcher" out to the antenna; if the SWR was 2:1 without the matcher, it's still 2:1 as far as losses go.

It appears that it's doing what it's supposed to be doing, matching impedances between the radio/amplifier and the antenna system. The antenna system's impedance hasn't been changed at all, it's the same as it was before inserting the tuner in-line. That's all that any tuner does.
The best place to put that tuner would be at the base of the antenna, at the antenna's feed point. Then, it would be matching the feed line and amplifier, and radio's impedance to that of the antenna. That would eliminate any of the losses associated with the feed line. There would still be some small losses associated with the tuner, but that would be nothing compared to the losses with the feed line -and- antenna combination.
I would pay particular attention to the wording of the advertiing/instructions, it isn't saying what you may think it does. The power rating for instance, refers to 'peak' power. That's only 'half' of 'peak to peak', or 'Pep' power. Don't count on it handling 1000 watts, closer to 500 watts, maybe. Simple to check, just feel it after a few minutes use. Is it warm to the touch? Shouldn't be, and if it is, you're feeding it too much power.
I don't have a problem with using a tuner -IF- it's used correctly. They don't do 'miracles'.
- 'Doc

what was your swr on ch1 and 40
if there high thru the whole band then id say ya got either
lack of giood ground/bad contact or a coax issue
now if theres a DIP in swr then we can see what needs to be
done=
low on 1 ,high on 40 =trim top section
high on 1 and low on 40 =thisis where it could get inresting
as your antenna is reading too SHORT. if so id get either a fiberglass
9ft. whip or steel whip then readjust the tuning rings. then if the rings
are maxed out may need to trim this a bit.
imo i dont feel a tuner is needed for just 1 band. now say if ya wanted
10-11 meters then yes as meters only fool your radio into thinking it has
a perfect 50ohm load.your antenna still ISNT tuned.imho

It appears that it's doing what it's supposed to be doing, matching impedances between the radio/amplifier and the antenna system. The antenna system's impedance hasn't been changed at all, it's the same as it was before inserting the tuner in-line. That's all that any tuner does.
The best place to put that tuner would be at the base of the antenna, at the antenna's feed point. Then, it would be matching the feed line and amplifier, and radio's impedance to that of the antenna. That would eliminate any of the losses associated with the feed line. There would still be some small losses associated with the tuner, but that would be nothing compared to the losses with the feed line -and- antenna combination.
I would pay particular attention to the wording of the advertiing/instructions, it isn't saying what you may think it does. The power rating for instance, refers to 'peak' power. That's only 'half' of 'peak to peak', or 'Pep' power. Don't count on it handling 1000 watts, closer to 500 watts, maybe. Simple to check, just feel it after a few minutes use. Is it warm to the touch? Shouldn't be, and if it is, you're feeding it too much power.
I don't have a problem with using a tuner -IF- it's used correctly. They don't do 'miracles'.
- 'Doc

PEP (Peak Envelope Power) has nothing at all to do with "peak to peak", which is used to measure voltages, not power.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.