• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna mounts

W5LZ

Crotchety Old Bastard
Apr 8, 2005
Oklahoma
You ready for this? Recently bought a 'Comet' antenna and specifically specified one with an 'NMO' type mount. Antenna arrived about a week later and wasn't an 'NMO' type, had the 'SO-239' type of mount. Emailed 'them' and asked how that mistake was going to be rectified. The 'sales-rep'/whatever said he was terribly sorry, but they did have an adaptor that converted from the 'NMO' to the '239' type thingy. Did I want one? I said I'd rather have the right antenna. 'He' said, sorry, they don't make that anymore. I said I'll get back to you (not really, but can't type what I said here). Looked around, found the adaptor at a lower price at another place. Ordered same. Got an order conformation which said it was back ordered but should get here a week after Christmas. Wonder why the 'out of stock' thingy wasn't part of their catalogue, or why I wasn't told before paying for it?? Emailed them, canceled the order (will see how long the 'credit' action on my plastic card takes). [It's a dual band antenna, otherwise would have gotten one locally, mount and antenna!]
Borrowed an antenna till a mount gets here. Oh, got the 'new' radio the day I got the antenna, couldn't wait.
Ordered the slightly higher cost 'adaptor' from the people who screwed up the antenna order. No prognostication as to arrival date.
Won't say who these 'people' I ordered from are (either one), but been doing 'bid-nez' with them for over 20 years. Very disapointed in them. Honestly the first even close to 'biggy' mistake they've made. 'Comet' says this particular antenna is made for an 'NMO' mount, the dealer says it isn't. Hmm. Don't know if my 'standards' are getting higher, or 'their' standards are getting lower. I hate ordering antennas. Radios I trust them with, antennas, no...
- 'Doc

(Here's a bunch of cleanex, you can wipe the 'stuff' off your monitor now.)

which Comet dual bander is it

I have been using the Comet GP-9 dual bander for about 3 years
I can say it works very well indeed

if and whenever it fails
then i will replace it with Dimonds best
but i doubt will do much better then the Comet

It's the 'Comet' CA2x4. I've heard some about it, but can't honestly say it's good/bad/indifferent. Originally wanted the 'Comet' '767' which has been discontinued, then picked the 'CA2x4', it replaced the '767' so ought to be as least as good, right? There I go believing advertisements, I know better than that too. This will be only the second commercially made antenna I've bought in over 10 years. I thought the first one had taught me better...
- 'Doc

Completely beside the point, I've found out that there are three former 'AT&T' microwave towers for sale (sort of locally). 80 feet tall, all on top of mountains/hills, bases at least 40 feet square, includes all structures/equipment still on site. Only $50K each. Ought'a make a pretty good repeater site, huh?

The 'Comet' CA2x4 is about 3.5 - 4 feet tall. That's 'tall' enough for top of cab mounting. A 6 - 8 foot antenna for the tool box / bed rail maybe.
I thought about the 'Diamond' x700, after getting the 'Comet'. Someone needs to remind me to 'think' before buying...
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.