• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna options

Triple 7's

Dec 2, 2020
Ok guys. I've searched and cant seem to come up with a viable solution. Currently I'm running an a99 base antenna. Due to how restrictions I'm stuck with this style antenna. My question is is there a similar antenna that will handle more power say 3000 watts or so? New amp coming and I'm nervous the old a99 wont cut it. Thanks in advance.
Triple 7's

That a99 will die with 3kw guarantee. I would go with a half wave dipole or similar. Wire antennas are hard to see compared to a big ole vertical sticking up in the air. And they are cheap to build. Or get a coily vertical

Reactions: binrat
Thanks for the reply. I looked at some of the Mr coily antennas. They look real nice. Kinda pricey. .my big issue is it has to be shoved up a tree in my back yard. The hoa really puts a damper on anyone into anything radio... honestly, im surprised I haven't been turned in on the a99. Building one would be cool. I would have to find plans, I've never built one before.

Hoa? Bummer. I would go with a wire antenna, 10g or 12g wire and a balun in the center. Hard to see and will handle your new box. They are really simple to build. Lots of help online and on here. Someone will chime in with dimensions soon im sure. Google dipole calculator, it will give you the correct length. Plus with that antenna you have orientation options like horizontal, vertical, sloper, inverted v etc

Reactions: Crawdad
11 m dipole.jpg

dipole.gif

Reactions: binrat and Crawdad
more power say 3000 watts or so?
WHY??? The difference between 1000 watts and 3000 watts is barely over 1/2 S Unit!!!

The HOA really puts a damper on anyone into anything radio

Yep just wait till you try and run that kind of power...You will get attention then!!~!~!

It's not a 3000 watt consistant box. It will swing that high. And that's the reason I dont feel comfortable with having the a99 up there. Sure I'd love to run a massive antenna with less power. But like I said the hoa restricts that. Living in an hoa I have to work with what I can.

The math required for calculating a 1/2 wave horizontal wire dipole is so simple you could train a monkey to do it:

468 / your favorite center frequency in MHz = total wire length (both "poles") or 1/2 wavelength

Example 468/27.185= 17.2 feet total wire

234 / your favorite center frequency in MHz = length of one "pole" or 1/4 wavelength

Example 234/27.185=8.6 feet per "pole"

The formulas get you close, add a little for attachment. Tune/trim for low VSWR (or not) and key the mike. It will work.

If we need Apps and calculators for that we're in deep S#%*

Reactions: Marconi
Microsoft Word - The Antron 99 EXPOSED.doc (radiomanual.info)

the Antron 99 has 1.8 dB gain on the horizon over an isotropic radiator.
Referenced to a center fed 1/2 wave dipole, which is the industry standard, the Antron 99 has a NEGATIVE gain of 0.3 dB. This could also be stated as -0.3 dBd

But thousands & thousands of them are used every single day to talk around the world.I'm keeping mine & I'll keep working the world with it on many bands.

SIX-SHOOTER

Thanks guys for all the help. I'm newer to the hobby and have been struggling to find info. I cant complain to much about the a99. Spent 20 bucks on it. I talked to Canada and main this week.
Triple 7's
Oro valley Arizona

How high up in the air is your antenna? If your already running 1000 watts I don't see the point or need to go to 3000. If you talk AM your probably already getting into your neighbor's stuff. If your antenna is 20 feet off the ground right now if you went to say 50-60 feet that would do more for your signal then another 2000 watts.

Since you said your newer to the hobby here is a concept that is hard to understand. When you double your power you gain 1/2 of an S unit on signal. So the single best bang for the buck will be when you jump from a barefoot 20 watt radio to say a Texas Star 350 amplifier. This is like doubling your power 4 times.

The bad news is each time after this if you want to make a difference people will notice you must at least double your power each time. Your better off putting time and money into your antenna system then buying a bigger amplifier. Good luck with what you decide to do.

I too would say a dipole antenna, but with a caveat. Inverted Vee dipole would be easier to tune and hide from the HOA police. You will get good performance with the dipole as well.

Reactions: Crawdad
I'm at 50-60 now. Not anywhere near 1000 watts. That was someone else mentioning 1000 watts. I'm running 150 ish now

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.