• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base Antenna prices?

red97k1500

Nov 26, 2012
texas
Why have base antennas doubled and tripled in price over the last ten years. The Antron 99 I’m using now I purchased from cb city for about 65 dollars out the door back in 2011.

Now most Antrons I can find are priced well over 100 dollars, with $150 being common.
Edit: $125 shipped is common $100 shipped is a good deal lol.

The imax 2000 is also more than it used to be.
I’ve seen priced as high as $180.00

The Workman w58 is 160 dollars if you can even find it. Apparently this was a 55 dollar antenna 7-8 years ago.

Apparently the maco v58 has almost doubled in price in the last 8 years.

Is maco even still in business they seem to be sold out at a lot of websites I look at?

Last edited:

Why have base antennas doubled and tripled in price over the last ten years. The Antron 99 I’m using now I purchased from cb city for about 65 dollars out the door back in 2011.

Now most Antrons I can find are priced well over 100 dollars, with $150 being common.
The imax 2000 is also more than it used to be.

The Workman w58 is 160 dollars if you can even find it. Apparently this was a 55 dollar antenna 7-8 years ago.

Apparently the maco v58 has almost doubled in price in the last 8 years.

Is maco even still in business they seem to be sold out at a lot of websites I look at?
Well with this covid shit everything is shut down. Hopefully they will be back in stock by summer. I was wanting a comet but I see they are also sold out.

Well with this covid shit everything is shut down. Hopefully they will be back in stock by summer. I was wanting a comet but I see they are also sold out.

Even before the covid 19, the prices have gotten crazy, but yes this has probably probably made them go up a little more. I’ve been looking at base antennas since September.

And NOTHING else you have purchased New in the last 10 years has succumbed to inflation?
$100 antenna in 2005 has increased to a minimum of $133.00 in 2020...
Straight inflation.
Now add material cost (copper wire for example) Has seen some major swing in cost. Depending on how purchased by the manufacturer can be 50% to 200% in cost
(Think TARIFFS) in the last few years. Aluminum has experienced similar increases as most of the manufacturing has moved out of the good old USA and must be imported.

I remember buying my first NEW BASIC V8/2 door/4WD/PS/ AC included pickup in 1984 cost was about $9000 USD..,. Look now they are $40,000 USD or more!:(:mad:
All the Best
Gary

I remember the a99 being $100 back in 1991.
I was more commenting in the availability.
I found a comet in stock. I may have to buy it now.

And NOTHING else you have purchased New in the last 10 years has succumbed to inflation?
$100 antenna in 2005 has increased to a minimum of $133.00 in 2020...
Straight inflation.
Now add material cost (copper wire for example) Has seen some major swing in cost. Depending on how purchased by the manufacturer can be 50% to 200% in cost
(Think TARIFFS) in the last few years. Aluminum has experienced similar increases as most of the manufacturing has moved out of the good old USA and must be imported.

I remember buying my first NEW BASIC V8/2 door/4WD/PS/ AC included pickup in 1984 cost was about $9000 USD..,. Look now they are $40,000 USD or more!:(:mad:
All the Best
Gary

Yes vehicle prices are stupid high now, you can easily spend 70,000 dollars on a 4x4 truck now that is fully loaded if you want too.

I’ve never owned a brand new car and I don’t plan to start now. I’m 32 years old and I don’t plan on ever buying another vehicle newer than about 2010ish year model. The last vehicle I bought last April, was a 2007 Honda Accord 4 cylinder, for 400 dollars I got it running drove it for a few months then sold it for 2000 dollars. There’s so many cars out there for cheap or free if you look for them lol.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Globalization = Monopoly.

(150) corporations, banks, etc are the big players. With the BIS, pretty well control the global economy.

Sardines get eaten by bass. Bass swallowed by grouper. From the Deep comes the unknown-to-science antediluvian monster to swallow giant Jewfish by the half-dozen.

Price goes high enough you balk. Those suppliers disappear. No loss to the monsters.

You might cause trouble with a radio or carbureted car.

While it may seem like a big jump many consumer product prices (especially electronics) have actually gone down in relation to wage increases even though wage increases haven't kept up with inflation in terms of medical costs or housing costs.

Cheap goods manufactured in developing countries and newer technology has reduced the prices. SSB CB radios in the 1970's cost $300 to $400 and now you can get something that is far superior at a lower cost!

A starduster in 1972 was $39.95 and the newer Sirio one is $120.

AVG USA Household Income 1972 - $11,286.01
AVG USA Household Income 2016 - $83,143

S9-CB-Magazine-1972-August-11-12-Large.jpg

S9-CB-Magazine-1979-February-Page-6-Custom.jpg

S9-CB-Magazine-1972-August-1-2-Large.jpg

Sardines get eaten by bass. Bass swallowed by grouper.

Ummmm! Fresh and Saltwater species.........Bass don't eat sardines.:confused: Grouper don't eat bass, but would. Grouper like Shad, Sqid, Croaker, and Mullet. Time to go fishing, I think they lifted the ban at the beaches here............

Reactions: Slowmover
About 15 years ago, I worked out a deal to buy 4 of the 1/2 wave Workman Bandits (the version without the tuning rings) for $29.95 per antenna. That was a bargain price, but I am glad I did not pay more. The build quality was awful and Workman customer support was zero! They responded to neither my phone calls nor my mailings. Today the same poor build quality and lousy customer service costs you 3-4 times as much.

About 10 years ago, I picked up an A99 new for $55.00 delivered. An IMAX 2000 purchased new at about the same time cost me $106 delivered. The prices on both have practically doubled.

Reactions: red97k1500
About 15 years ago, I worked out a deal to buy 4 of the 1/2 wave Workman Bandits (the version without the tuning rings) for $29.95 per antenna. That was a bargain price, but I am glad I did not pay more. The build quality was awful and Workman customer support was zero! They responded to neither my phone calls nor my mailings. Today the same poor build quality and lousy customer service costs you 3-4 times as much.

About 10 years ago, I picked up an A99 new for $55.00 delivered. An IMAX 2000 purchased new at about the same time cost me $106 delivered. The prices on both have practically doubled.

From everything I have read on here, the quality of the a99 and imax has gone down significantly, in just the last few years.and they’ve made undesirable changes to them. I’m not even certain, if anyone knows where there manufactured now.Or who the company is that actually owns them. I think it’s top secret cb information, Kinda like how to add them extree channels to your cobra 148. On top of that add in almost doubling the price depending on where you purchase it from, and they don’t seem like such a good deal any more. I don’t see how they can stay in business much longer. I’ve seen threads on here where people are having nothing but problems from the new imax 2000s.

A99 was junk in 1990 and its still junk.
Is maco antenna and maco amps separate owners? Its not looking good for maco antennas. I managed to find a maco comet for $300 to my door. Im thinking of buying it as it looks to be discontinued as is many of their antennas.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.