• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base Antenna prices?

The price of cb antennas has gone down relative to wages since i got into the hobby,
tube quality has also gone down & thinner walled over the years too,

the antennas of today look like your grampa's starduster / sigma4 but use cheaper weaker thinner walled tube & hub materials more suited to making toy cars & cap guns.

The price of cb antennas has gone down relative to wages since i got into the hobby,
tube quality has also gone down & thinner walled over the years too,

the antennas of today look like your grampa's starduster / sigma4 but use cheaper weaker thinner walled tube & hub materials more suited to making toy cars & cap guns.
Have to agree....bought a L2 from Lightning Antennas. Not real impressive on some components. There are 2 gama matching sections that really have much to be desired. Only reason I bought it rather than building is relatively cheaper due to parts and material availability, but some will have to be modified.

Reactions: bob85
Why have base antennas doubled and tripled in price over the last ten years. The Antron 99 I’m using now I purchased from cb city for about 65 dollars out the door back in 2011.

Now most Antrons I can find are priced well over 100 dollars, with $150 being common.
Edit: $125 shipped is common $100 shipped is a good deal lol.

The imax 2000 is also more than it used to be.
I’ve seen priced as high as $180.00

The Workman w58 is 160 dollars if you can even find it. Apparently this was a 55 dollar antenna 7-8 years ago.

Apparently the maco v58 has almost doubled in price in the last 8 years.

Is maco even still in business they seem to be sold out at a lot of websites I look at?
I learned last week after looking for skipshooters, that maco owns skipshooter and a couple of other names. They closed up shop last month due to covid and who knows when they'll open back up. The supplier said they were down to their last few of almost everything that comes from those guys so I would think thats why you are seeing them sold out at most places. With covid, shutdowns and so many with the prepper mentality seems to be lots of communications equipment is flying off the shelves according to the supplier I spoke to.

I have to agree, prices one everything is ridiculous compared to 10, 15, 20 years ago and money isn't doubling in our pockets by any means

Reactions: red97k1500
Hmmm, maybe ill buy a comet copy it and call it the asteroid. :D
Modeled my home brew omni after a Starduster. Had the hub friend gave me. Used scrap aluminum tubing. Broke the hub, fabricated another from SS. Radiator got tore up, took 102" SS Whip and spring off truck. Mounted that. I call it a StarBuster......20191110_120814.jpg

It's price gouging due to people realizing preppers were right.
So now they want a radio, and CB shops can make some real money on upped prices.

Gee; that means anyone having a collection of working CB radios may have turned it into a long term investment.
Cool Beans!

No.
Means one sells when market hot.

Better to get what you’ve been wanting. From high quality wire to antenna to radio and all gear not easily reproduced.

Buy extra. Have a plan.

Stay ahead of buyers is Job One

Anno Domini 2026: Here’s the head of your company’s tech division finishing the tower install at your second vacation home.

901EFF89-CEA3-4BA4-81EA-6395AFF7EC0A.jpeg

Unfortunately now is the time to buy. Lots of folks getting off gear they normally wouldnt and if one waits another month it will get cheaper if it lasts that long. A set of eagle mark lll's just came up for sale I might be able to make a deal on.
Truth is a lot of business arent going to survive this. I wasnt joking when I said id like to use the comet as a template.

Reactions: Slowmover
What did you use for the radial supports?
Fiberglass rods for electrical fence. Tractor Supply. The support hub was piece of polly used to make bushings from the plant dumpster. Used holesaw centered hole. Counter sunk and tapped threads for lock studs on mast. Pointed ends of rods into drilled holes in aluminum tubing and ss tie wire thru drilled holes in rods to aluminum tubing securing.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.