• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

antenna question...something different

trailrider

Jul 22, 2012
i'm looking to install a mobile cell phone signal booster in my vehicle. many areas I travel in are very weak in signal strength. making my phone almost useless. my question.... since i'm looking at the WILSON signal booster and it uses a small magnet mount antenna' would it be possible to use a CB antenna with a magnet mount???? maybe a WILSON 1000. ??? thanks

im basically looking at the same Wilson unit. but as we all know in the radio world' the better the antenna the better everything works.

so since I have a large supply of good cb antennas' obviously a quality 3 foot antenna would work better than a 3 inch antenna. now I realize I may have to have some custom coax made to connect the cb antenna to the Wilson cradle' but I was just wondering if the cb antenna was tuned to the right frequency to work with the cell phone signal. ?????

im basically looking at the same Wilson unit. but as we all know in the radio world' the better the antenna the better everything works.

so since I have a large supply of good cb antennas' obviously a quality 3 foot antenna would work better than a 3 inch antenna. now I realize I may have to have some custom coax made to connect the cb antenna to the Wilson cradle' but I was just wondering if the cb antenna was tuned to the right frequency to work with the cell phone signal. ?????

W9CLL gave good advice.

CB = 27 MHz
Cell Phones ~ 1 to 2 GHz

That should give you a bit more detail, but why not experiment and see just what might happen.

Walmart has one that is similar, think it's made by wilson, not sure, it requires the phone to be in a cradle holder and there is an external antenna, it also recommends use of bluetooth headset. Check out Walmart website maybe. Good luck and hope you get it sorted.

If you're using it as a passive antenna, then experiment away...if you're intending to use an amplified system, you run the risk of damaging the amplifier. I have found that the passive system, without a direct connection from the antenna to the phone is pretty limited on effectiveness...but add the Wilson amplifier, and it makes a world of difference.

I have a Wilson cell cradle and the amplifier, I use it with the Wilson Celullar Trucker antenna...here is a link to what I'm talking about, its not your typical coily cell antenna:

Wilson 301101 Trucker Antenna

I also ran the stubby roof-mounted Wilson Trucker for a long time, and it was about 6 inches from the roof-mounted Wilson 5000. Even with a 1x4 running through the Wilson, it never interfered with the cell setup.

thank you everyone. for no more that the antenna costs' I might as well just get the Wilson trucker model. I've got plenty of different mounts I can use.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.