• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna question

Rondoc

Nov 23, 2013
I just picked up this antenna and have no idea about it. I am thinking it is missing some pieces for mounting. Please help.

Attachments

• IMG_2082.JPG
    IMG_2082.JPG
    246.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2083.JPG
    IMG_2083.JPG
    214.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2084.JPG
    IMG_2084.JPG
    196.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2085.JPG
    IMG_2085.JPG
    237.1 KB · Views: 16

I need the fitting and conduit to mount. The triangle piece is the brace for at the bottom.

From what I am seeing this is not a very good antenna.

I need the fitting and conduit to mount. The triangle piece is the brace for at the bottom.

Hey LeRoy, you might be right, but what are you comparing the antenna too?

Last edited:
I am not comparing it to anything since this is my first base that I am hooking up. I was just reading about it.

this antenna mounts directly on top of a mast pipe. from what i see
i think its all there.id reccommend ya atleast mount it and try it
for yourself. dont believe some things online especially about cb stuff
alot of people swear by this design

I am not comparing it to anything since this is my first base that I am hooking up. I was just reading about it.

I would recommend you put the antenna up and try it like hotrod suggested.

I live on the Texas Gulf Coast where it is pretty flat. Just to give you a little idea of what I see comparing antennas at my location...I did a video that spells out pretty well, for me, how effective my SD is compared to my Gain Master with both up moderately high.

The report Tim gave me is similar to what I often get when comparing these two, and the SD'r is about 12' lower to the tip that my GM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qxl_tsxAUU

starduster tests

marconi, nice work with the tests. for the most part your starduster
works as well as the other antennas you compared. It would be nice
to have one as a compare antenna. I see sirio and workman each make one
they call m400, not sure which is best. I saw in one diagram online, that the top element was 2.75 meters long. that should be plenty to make a 1/4 wave, so why are the little radials used? anyhow I know you have praised that antenna.

Thank you all for your help. Regarding the mast, should I go with metal or a hard plastic. I am thinking metal for the strength. I am just going high enough for it to clear my roof line or a little higher.

I may not be able to stand it straight up in the air, is there any other way to mount this so it is not as noticeable? My neighborhood may not allow this big of an antenna.

you have to use a metal mast,, you run the coax up the inside of mast then connect to starduster then slide the antenna on mast and tighten set screws... back in the day this was the antenna that everyone liked it wasnt big and bulky and still had good range, it took a little power and wouldnt burn the coil out like the 5/8 waves and such,,,,good luck 73s midnight special

marconi, nice work with the tests. for the most part your starduster
works as well as the other antennas you compared. It would be nice
to have one as a compare antenna. I see sirio and workman each make one
they call m400, not sure which is best. I saw in one diagram online, that the top element was 2.75 meters long. that should be plenty to make a 1/4 wave, so why are the little radials used? anyhow I know you have praised that antenna.

the sirio is the latest design of the m-400. and is pretty close to the orignal
the workman is junk

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.