• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna question

Joe

Ok folks I would mind some advice.

I recently (4 days ago) purchased a Wilson lil wil. So far I like it, but my dad dropped a Larson 3.5 inch Motorola type magnet off and suggested me taking my little wil back and buy the Larson NMO-27 BCO Coil and the Larson W-490 (49 inch) whip

cost. 35.95 (sale price) for the coil.
cost. 15.00 for the W-490 whip
And probably 10 dollars for the magnetic mount. It's his friends mount, not my dads.

I can take my Wilson back and exchange it for the aboved mention stuff.

Do you thing I will get out much further than the Wilson?

Is it a better set up?

I will be hooking it up to my new Unidon 68 xl

Thanks in advance

Joe

Joe, I would take that Lil' Wil back and get the Wilson 1000 or 5000 mag mount. Much better antenna.

antenna

yeah the little wil isnt a really great antenna but it is good for what it is. defintly the the wlson 5000 or a 10k predator check in the fourn swap shop they are always use done forsale

Joe, the antenna is the most important part of any setup IMO. You can find them alot cheaper than $125. You might be sorry if you stick with that antenna. No ears and not much transmit. You can get away with a cheaper radio, but the antenna is where its at.

doing a lot of reading on the Wilson 1000, it gets great reviews right across the board.

I may invest.

Also, I did a search on two forums for Larson antennas and nothing came up. I thought these were a good antenna, as in one of the best, yet I don't see any info on them. :?

musky1963 said:
Joe, the antenna is the most important part of any setup IMO. You can find them alot cheaper than $125. You might be sorry if you stick with that antenna. No ears and not much transmit. You can get away with a cheaper radio, but the antenna is where its at.

I do agree Musky, I may take that lil will back tomorrow or the next day, and exchange it for the 1000.

The thing is I have to exchange it for the Wilson with in 10 days or I'm stuck with the lil wil.

I'm forced to buy it at this store thats selling them for 125.00

musky1963 said:
Joe, I would take that Lil' Wil back and get the Wilson 1000 or 5000 mag mount. Much better antenna.

I just got a Wilson 1000 -- about 70 inches overall height. Does it make any TX or RX difference that the wind changes its shape into a curve, rather that vertical, when at speed?

Just got off the phone with one of the guys at Radio World. (the store I bought my lil wil off of)

I asked him several questions, one regarding the Wilson 1000 comparing it to the lil wil.

He told me that the performance its not that significantly better between the two antennas.

He is basically telling me to save the additional 70 dollars and stay with the lil wil, unusual for a sales person to say this LOL

Now does this guy know what he's talking about or is he out to lunch??

He might be saying that just so he doesn't have to deal with a return, etc. There IS a difference. Go look at one and you can tell just by looking at the coil and stinger. Much better. You pretty much get what you pay for when it comes to antennas. Is that fella at the store an avid cb'r or just a mini-van driving guy who talks to truckers on his way to Starbucks looking for a "smokie report"? :LOL:

musky1963 said:
He might be saying that just so he doesn't have to deal with a return, etc. There IS a difference. Go look at one and you can tell just by looking at the coil and stinger. Much better. You pretty much get what you pay for when it comes to antennas. Is that fella at the store an avid cb'r or just a mini-van driving guy who talks to truckers on his way to Starbucks looking for a "smokie report"? :LOL:

LOL good question musky

Atually I told him about the exchange after, but you could have a point.

I phoned another store and just asked the guy the same question. I didn't say I was looking to buy, only that I have this question to ask.

He said right off the bat that the 1000 would get at least 2 miles more that the lil wil

Also: I was thinking about using the Larson 3.5 inch mag and buying the Larson NMO-27 BCO coil along with the Larson 49 inch whip but he said I would not get much better performance than the lil wil

Both stores agreed with this

Well I took the lil wil back and exchanged it for the Larson 27 BCO Coil and the Larson W-490 (49 inch) whip, I recieved the Mag mount for free(that was 55 dollars canadian on its own)

So thats it for me, I'll stick with this for a while, It should get me out a lot further than the lil wil

Cheeers Joe

after all of that !! Wow !! You have the L'll Wil / 500 /1000/5000 Wilson Antenna's ...pretty much in that order Joe ....I'd guess to say that they are the BEST selling antennas on the market today and maybe for the last 15 years or so ? I can't say that they are the best but I can say that they are very decent and respected antennas for what they are. The 1000 and 5000 are pretty much the same in the transmit and receive departments other then the 5000 will do more power ....so unless one was running more power upwards towards the 5000s ,I'd just go with the 1000. I would more then likely run a 102inch steel whip if I could get a way with it ,but there big and very noticeable unlike the Wilson's somewhat being a more of a low profile antenna with fairly good looks about them as well as performance.I truly doubt I would ever use a 10K or Coilly type antenna weather they claim to be the best or not ? I personally think there ugly ,guawdy/ and far from being a low profile type of antenna ...no offence to the people that use them ,but IM just not that hard up to talk accross the road and I don't run mega watts either.I've been running a 1000/5000 now for 15 years and I've talked all over the world on those and never had a problem locally either. I suppose some peoples hobby are just a lot bigger then others when it comes to this stuff and all I can say to that is more power to them. I suppose how others do there things really doesn't apply to me,IMpressive to say the least but I'll stick with my Wilson 5000 roof mount for the time being. Good luck with your new antenna Joe. Hope it all works out for you. Switch Kit

Switch Kit said:
after all of that !! Wow !! You have the L'll Wil / 500 /1000/5000 Wilson Antenna's ...pretty much in that order Joe ....I'd guess to say that they are the BEST selling antennas on the market today and maybe for the last 15 years or so ? I can't say that they are the best but I can say that they are very decent and respected antennas for what they are. The 1000 and 5000 are pretty much the same in the transmit and receive departments other then the 5000 will do more power ....so unless one was running more power upwards towards the 5000s ,I'd just go with the 1000. I would more then likely run a 102inch steel whip if I could get a way with it ,but there big and very noticeable unlike the Wilson's somewhat being a more of a low profile antenna with fairly good looks about them as well as performance.I truly doubt I would ever use a 10K or Coilly type antenna weather they claim to be the best or not ? I personally think there ugly ,guawdy/ and far from being a low profile type of antenna ...no offence to the people that use them ,but IM just not that hard up to talk accross the road and I don't run mega watts either.I've been running a 1000/5000 now for 15 years and I've talked all over the world on those and never had a problem locally either. I suppose some peoples hobby are just a lot bigger then others when it comes to this stuff and all I can say to that is more power to them. I suppose how others do there things really doesn't apply to me,IMpressive to say the least but I'll stick with my Wilson 5000 roof mount for the time being. Good luck with your new antenna Joe. Hope it all works out for you. Switch Kit

Thanks Switch Kit

I settled on the Larson because of its great reputation, and quality, NOT to say that the Wilson are not a quality antenna, they are.

I did get the mount for free(this would have been a 55 dollar Canadian cost) so moving up to the Larson only cost me 5 dollars with my lil wilson exchange.

The 1000 would have set me back another 75 dollars with the exchange.

So far this antenna is really getting out :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.