• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna questions

edfiero

Jul 15, 2010
I am thinking about getting a 4 element beam to add some more punch above what I have today with my Maco 5/8 vertical.

1. Due to a number of low hanging trees, I can not put a beam outside, it would have to go in the attic. Would a beam in the Attic offer a significant improvement over 5/8 Vertical mounted on top of my chimney outside, to justify the cost and effort?

2. If I would see improvment using an Attic mounted antenna. What Antenna would you recommend. The Maco 4 element Yagi? The Sirio SY-4? Jogunn SA-4? (this seems over rated from what I've read) Something else I should consider?? I do have room in the attic for a horizontaly mounted antenna. But I don't think there is room for one with the vertical elments like a Shooting Star/Moonraker or even a Gizmochy.

Thanks

greetings and welcome;
this is a tough one.

you may or may not have success with the beam in the attic...there are alot of variables to each persons install of an antenna. it may work for some and not for others. there really is only one way to find out if it works in your location and that is to try it.

One consideration and i'm sure you are aware is that a beam needs to have room to turn to point at the source. A maco 4 element has a turning radius of 13', boom length of 16' and it's longest element is 19'(reflector at 9.5 each side).

well hope this get's the thread started for you, other's will be along.

Thast a difficult one,
But i wouldnt go for it.

You might have "better" options:
hang a couple dipole in those trees.
The yagi will have about 8dBI over a dipole but when it is at the addic im confident the roof will provide more singla loss.

Attach a metal support in the trees with a smalll ligth weigth yagi above it.
If had for years a 2el made out of fishing rods that way. Google for "moxon / hentenna or skypper/g4zu" and you will come acrosse some "easy to make" simple beams.

Kind regards,

Henry 19SD348
All about antennas

putting a beam in attic would be a recipe for rf waiting to happen imho
my 2 seggestions
1 raise your current antenna up higher by 10 feet [minumin]
2 switch antennas =try the new penatrator 500 out i know the old one
was better than the maco.if you do want a beam but limited on room
try the jo gunns smoking gunn 2 the boom is only 5 or 6 feet in lenth

A four element beam needs a lot of room to rotate. With a 13 foot turning radius it needs a circle 26 feet in diameter completely free and open to function. The gain added by the beam would be pretty much offset by the losses from using it indoors IMHO. I have used indoor antennas before and there was always a big difference when the same antenna was moved outdoors. I don't think the gain, if any, would be worth the cost and effort unless it could be mounted outdoors.

I would have to say it is likely NG for the beam in your addic..
Too little gain ( if any )
Requires likely too much room then your addic actually offers..

I like the idea of raising your currant antenna higher
( actually how good are those trees...can you get it up on top of one of those trees ? )

Or replace it with the Interceptor I-10K and raise it higher
(the Best 11 meter vertical 5/8 wave groundplane likely out there )

Otherwise....build some wire antennas for those trees..

I think your worst senerio is to put the beam in the addic

I have to say that I don't think I'd do that. What you -might- get could certainly out do some antennas, but it's really doubtful. Just too many "but's" in that to make a guess.
Sorry 'bout that...
- 'Doc

(Is your attic really that big/open?)

I have to say that I don't think I'd do that. What you -might- get could certainly out do some antennas, but it's really doubtful. Just too many "but's" in that to make a guess.
Sorry 'bout that...
- 'Doc

(Is your attic really that big/open?)

Thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like everyone is against the idea, so I'll punt on it for now. (But yes, the attic is plenty big. Its easily 60 ft long and over 30 feet wide) Nothing up there now except for a TV antenna.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.