• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna / Radio Selector Swich

jrd426

Sep 5, 2018
Good afternoon, im using a mfj 1700 type antenna / transmitter switch (currently used with 3 antennas / 5 radios). I am wondering if there is any risk of rf damage to the switch connected radios that are powered off while using one that putts out 100-200w ? Ive noticed that the isolation between switch positions on receive when i have more then one on at a time is not great, meaning even when a radio is not selected i can still hear the signal coming through somewhat. This makes me wonder about connected radios to the swich when operating an other. (Again all but one radio off when in tx)
Thanks for your input.
73's

regardless of what manufacturers claim, i would never risk using a switch for a bunch of radios and antennas all connected together. especially if the terminal isolation is so bad you can hear a tx signal in another connected receiver. you risk killing the front end of the connected rxcvr, even if the rxcvr is turned off. one radio to antenna switch to antennas is all that is needed. if you want to use another radio just stand up, reach around the back and move the transmission line from one radio to another. simple, no big deal

This is the one that I use in my station. All unused inputs are grounded, rated for 1500w. I run 600w peak through it on a regular basis. With the unused radios turned off, I have never had a problem. The switch is great for comparing receivers.

IMG_20221221_170718659_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
regardless of what manufacturers claim, i would never risk using a switch for a bunch of radios and antennas all connected together. especially if the terminal isolation is so bad you can hear a tx signal in another connected receiver. you risk killing the front end of the connected rxcvr, even if the rxcvr is turned off. one radio to antenna switch to antennas is all that is needed. if you want to use another radio just stand up, reach around the back and move the transmission line from one radio to another. simple, no big deal
I know what you are saying, I was a little sceptical at first. I read a lot of reviews before I bought it.

Reactions: groundwire

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.