• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

antenna recommendation

1x4

sleepwalker said:
ok....the antennas at the factory location are 8.5 feet apart. BTW I have a 1X4 amp I will run. So my guess is I will need better coax such as the Belden co-phase harness.
Well that sound good on your spacing for cophased you should get a good cophased envelope with that spacing,I don't know what type of cophased harness your truck has on it,But when i ran my dave made 1x5 amp it put-out around 450 deadkey on 12 volts and around 800 watts pep..I would suggest a new harness.Take the old one out and see what they used and go from there,replace it put it all back together and take your time and get it right so you don't have to take it back apart.You could also get an extra harness and some mirror brackets and put those on first, so you can get an idea of what going on in your Antenna setup before you tear into the factory setup...If you need any help with anything just Give me a e-mail or feel free to call me anytime...Dan

Pep

freecell said:
"it put-out around 450 deadkey on 12 volts and around 800 watts pep"

pep must be at least 4 times the unmodulated carrier for 100% modulation to occur.
Trust me i run well over 100% mod with out 4 time multipule of swing.

The amout of swing or pep is and was adjustable from just when the keying relay would click with less than a watt to 450 max with forward swing to 800+ a fact. dave 1x5 did 450 deak key dual-line bird 43 with a pep of around 800 watts,Very low reflection[/b],on the low side it did anywhere from nothing to 800 watts of swing.[/
My 16 pill skullcracka ran at the highest deadkey 3700 watts Prime sat there with me when we hit the 3700 watt :twisted:
with that dave driver at 450 input with plenty of back swing and no 10-OHM Smoke 8) . I can make an amp swing or stand tall.When i ran the dave as a driver it ran 450 dead key 15 volts on my 9 trojan batts and 3 alternators,I ran My 16 pill at 15 volts@2500 watts deak key with that driver that way all the time always got great reviews.
I also have a palomar 4x1446 i run at 200 swinging 450 watts
100% mod..My skullcracka 8 pill also ran at 1800 watts deadkey with 100%mod clean and loud.I think it all depends on your input signal from your radio and how it produces mod or swing and the amount of drive your radio haswith swing.all depends on your radio and how it produced the drive signal into the amplifiers some will easily mod a 100% with full dead key, it's all in the tuning...73sss molecule
WWW.MRCOILY.COM

"Trust me i run well over 100% mod with out 4 time multipule of swing."

the definition of an amplitude modulated transmitter producing 100% modulation is when the total power of BOTH sidebands is equal to but does not exceed 6 db. above the unmodulated carrier, or a peak-to-carrier ratio of 4:1 when measuring peak envelope power. when making average power measurements, 100 % modulation does not occur until modulated average power is 1.5 times the carrier, or 1.5:1.

this has all been discussed before.
http://forum.worldwidedx.com/viewtopic.php?t=4552

if you're actually measuring PEP then from 450 Watts of carrier, 100% modulation does not occur until peaks approach 1800 Watts. then @ 450 - 800 you're undermodulated.

if you're measuring AVERAGE power then from 450 Watts of carrier, 100% modulation occurs at 675 Watts. then @ 450 - 800, you're overmodulated.

a question was brought up previously as to whether or not PEP could be converted to AVG and visa versa. look at our examples above and work the ratio for 1800/675. the ratio is 2.66. if you have PEP and wish to convert it to AVG then simply divide the PEP by 2.66. if you have the AVG and wish to convert it to PEP, multiply the AVG by 2.66.

either way you measure it, you're missing the mark.

Mod

freecell said:
"Trust me i run well over 100% mod with out 4 time multipule of swing."

the definition of an amplitude modulated transmitter producing 100% modulation is when the total power of BOTH sidebands is equal to but does not exceed 6 db. above the unmodulated carrier, or a peak-to-carrier ratio of 4:1 when measuring peak envelope power. when making average power measurements, 100 % modulation does not occur until modulated average power is 1.5 times the carrier, or 1.5:1.

this has all been discussed before.
http://forum.worldwidedx.com/viewtopic.php?t=4552

if you're actually measuring PEP then from 450 Watts of carrier, 100% modulation does not occur until peaks approach 1800 Watts. then @ 450 - 800 you're undermodulated.

if you're measuring AVERAGE power then from 450 Watts of carrier, 100% modulation occurs at 675 Watts. then @ 450 - 800, you're overmodulated.

a question was brought up previously as to whether or not PEP could be converted to AVG and visa versa. look at our examples above and work the ratio for 1800/675. the ratio is 2.66. if you have PEP and wish to convert it to AVG then simply divide the PEP by 2.66. if you have the AVG and wish to convert it to PEP, multiply the AVG by 2.66.

either way you measure it, you're missing the mark.

Well i really don't want to argue about it i know what 100 percent mod is.73ssss And i know what a distorted signal to carrier ratio is,i can run sloppen nasty swing ratios or i can turn my dead key up and run 100% clean modulation i do have meters 73sss Molecule....DAN

the harness that comes in the T-600 is made from RG59 and will support the 1X4....the only problem on those trucks is the block metal stud mounts and the insulation from ground provided by the paint used to cover the mirror arm & hardware.

remove both the block studs and remove the paint so the studs are provided a decent rf ground return then reassemble them. forget about 10K and Coily and go with a pair of top-loaded antennas, such as the 5.5' PowerStiks. more broadbanded for out-of-band coverage, more gain and much more signal off of the back of the trailer.

due to the physical geometry of a tractor-trailer rig, the directional effect of dual antennas is fairly well preserved down to just above 1/8 wave spacing. case in point, a late model Peterbuilt (and you don't get 1/4 wave spacing on these) with a GDX95T @ 45/180 AM with a pair of 5' PowerStiks talking and hearing out to 40+ miles to the front of the tractor and 60+ miles to the rear of the trailer. the antennas he removed before switching to the PowerStiks were a pair of 10K Penetrators that never produced results beyond 20 miles in any direction.

since installing the new antennas on more than one occasion he has found himself in San Diego working stations in Riverside, approximately 85 miles distant (73 Nautical Miles) off of the back of the trailer with readable signals both ways. in all fairness we believe that one fixed station in Riverside was using a directional array, but the performance is exceptional in any case. it was interesting to note however that performance off of the rear of the Pete was better than it was off of the front. there's a twist.

one other thing. the power supply. that 1X4 is going to draw 60 amps and up and your stock alternator will not be up to the job. if you're a company driver i hope the boss ok's the alternator upgrade. if you're an OO, i suggest you look into a larger alternator, downsize the amplifier or plan on running the 1X4 at reduced power. someone always forgets the power supply.

thanks everybody....the altenator on the truck is a leece-neville 160 amp..which is plenty I think...I'm glad you(freecell) are familiar with the T600...the next prblem lies in where to mount the amp? any more suggestions? its a dave made...I had thought about under the bunk which is right over the batteries but the coax thing perplexes me.... :shock: can someone give me a link where I can find a powerstik antenna?

there's nothing to argue about.

freecell said:
there's nothing to argue about.
Well thats good i don't like to argue about watt swings and over modulation or undermodulation when it my equipment your tell me about 73sss Lets have a beer and chill :beer .
What i posted are facts 450-800+forward swing 100+ mod loud and clear.

Quad wraps!

sleepwalker said:
how 'bout the wilson silverload?
If you want a set of kick butt wire antennas dig around the internet until you find a set of Quad wrap 5 foot antennas or 6 foot.They are great antennas,,,And if you ever are in need I am Coily and i build the finest coil antenna in the country! And that is my hand on the bible truth 73sss....Dan
Let the truth be with you.
www.mrcoily.com

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.