• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

antenna recommendation

Wilson 2000! Or, you can get a Wilson 2000. If you REALLY want a GREAT antenna, get the Wilson 2000! If money is no object, then I would recommend the Wilson 2000. If you are on a budget and need the best bang for your buck, get the Wilson 2000.

If you plan on running big power, then maybe the Wilson 5000, but that would have to be BIG power. For 99% of the truck drivers out there, the Wilson 2000 is MORE than enough! Why do you need big power in a truck anyway?

Also, get ONE and don't mess with the co-phase set-up. You will be MUCH happier! If you find that you don't like the performance of the single antenna, you can always buy another one and install the correct harness. I'll bet the single antenna will outperform the duals! I've seen it time and again! Want to know why?...

To properly phase TWO antennas, you need a properly built phasing harness (2 lengths of 75 ohm coax). If the harness is not built correctly, your performance will be compromised.

ALSO!

When you co-phase TWO antennas, they become bi-directional depending on the spacing from eachother. There is a sweet spot depending on where you want your signal to go. Do all this right and they will perform as desired. Screw up just one of these VERY important items, and your performance will suffer!

A single Wilson 2000 with the coil above the cab, 18' of a quality RG-8X coax, and properly installed connectors, and you will have an awesome working system!

The reason truckers use co-phased antennas is not for performance. Its because they WANT the signal to be out-front and behind the truck, and radiatiing in those directions only. They are interested in whats up ahead as far as traffic conditions and do not care about shooting skip.

This is why all trucks you see on the road use co-phased antennas. Yes to co-phase.. you need 2 75 ohm 1/4 wave sections of coax, connected to a phase harness ( T- connection). You can find them anywhere.

supergonzo said:
The reason truckers use co-phased antennas is not for performance. Its because they WANT the signal to be out-front and behind the truck, and radiatiing in those directions only. They are interested in whats up ahead as far as traffic conditions and do not care about shooting skip.

This is why all trucks you see on the road use co-phased antennas. Yes to co-phase.. you need 2 75 ohm 1/4 wave sections of coax, connected to a phase harness ( T- connection). You can find them anywhere.

This only works if the spacing is correct. What they want and what they get are USUALLY two different things. Most truckers don't even know how 2 properly phased antennas work. They think, "One is good, two must be better! Now get'er done good buddy!"

The best set-up for any over the road driver is a single antenna as high as they can get it. I've heard time and time again that drivers are way more happy with the single set up than they ever were with the duals. Can they explain why? NOPE! It just works.

With that said, a "PROPERLY" installed co-phase antenna system will give you the desired results and more "gain" in a particular bi-direction. But you have to admit, this is a rare occurance!

Master Chief said:
supergonzo said:

This only works if the spacing is correct. What they want and what they get are USUALLY two different things. Most truckers don't even know how 2 properly phased antennas work. They think, "One is good, two must be better! Now get'er done good buddy!"

The best set-up for any over the road driver is a single antenna as high as they can get it. I've heard time and time again that drivers are way more happy with the single set up than they ever were with the duals. Can they explain why? NOPE! It just works.

With that said, a "PROPERLY" installed co-phase antenna system will give you the desired results and more "gain" in a particular bi-direction. But you have to admit, this is a rare occurance!
MASTER CHIEF, One of the best skip talking set ups was two 10K antennas co-phased on the headache rack of my pickup. They do not have to be any certain distance apart to work well. The closer they are to each other the narrower the signal will be. They talked very well and the "hearing" was better. Kale

10k223,
I'm afraid I have to disagree with you about phased antenna seperation distance and the 'shape' of the radiation pattern. The distance between the two phased antennas does make a difference in the directionality of the antenna system. If they are too close together the radiation pattern is no longer directional, but is omni directional (or, has multiple lobes in random directions). The seperation distance can be compensated for by changing the phasing of the two antenna, but only up to a point! As the seperation lessens, the system tends to go to a omnidirectional type pattern.
The radiation pattern of most phased antennas is not very 'sharp' at all, more of a sort of broad beam type thingy. Those broad or narrow bidirectional lobes are also affected/distorted by what is 'near' the antenna. That 'near'ness is in terms of full wave lengths at the frequency in use. The 'what' that is near an antenna is in relation to some type of 'metal', cars, trailer, whatever. If you have an antenna modeling program you can get a 'general' idea of the shape of the radiation pattern (also depends on how accurate you can be in describing the system in the program). The radiation program result is very 'generalized', sort of, but you can get the general idea of what's happening, sort of.
- 'Doc

thanks for the great replies...it was my assumption that the particular truck I drive a KW T600 lacks a good ground plane and 2 antennas would somehow make up for this ..for those who aren't familiar with this truck its mostly fiberglass ..the antenna mounts on the low hung mirror bracket which is bolted to the cab of the truck---fiberglass and aluminum--Im still confused as to what I should do :?

Cophased

sleepwalker said:
thanks for the great replies...it was my assumption that the particular truck I drive a KW T600 lacks a good ground plane and 2 antennas would somehow make up for this ..for those who aren't familiar with this truck its mostly fiberglass ..the antenna mounts on the low hung mirror bracket which is bolted to the cab of the truck---fiberglass and aluminum--Im still confused as to what I should do :?

Hello Sleepwalker,I have found that running 2 antennas does give you the added gain over one antenna,No matter what you have 2 antennas throwing a signal out, And will out talk 1 antenna even if it turns into one bigger antenna,If you could take some mesurements from antenna to antenna i would be able to give you a better answer on this.But there is a picture on my web sight of a cophased setup with a 1.2.1 match that we recorded an over full s-unit of gain over running just one antenna and it's not 9 feet wide at the antennas.Even running a spacing of 6-7 feet will give you added gain and depending on your counterpoise or ground plane added directional ability,When you get them too close together your actual cophased envelope starts to overlap distributing more of an large overall envelope some overlap will still develope but ,it all depends on your spacing?I would say go with a cophased setup and run the stock coax it should hold a good 500 watts easy.If you wanted a more complete answer i would need all the info on your setup as without that i am only guesstamating and going from what i have read and seen on differant antenna modleing programs and actual antenna installations...73ssss....Dan...... WWW.MRCOILY.COM

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.