• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna suggestions for taking SWL to the next level

michael64

May 7, 2012
Hello,

This is my first post on these forums. I must say it wasn't easy find a radio forum that had current posts, seemed to be busy discussing a wide-range of radio topics, and allowed me to join up fairly easily. I look forward to joining the discussion.

I have been listening to shortwave for thirty years, but have only used portables. That's been ok for me in the past, but now I want to branch out. I dabbled into decoding RTTY using a portable and a computer program, and I enjoyed that quite a bit. I also bought my first radio which can be programmed by computer a few years back (An Icom RC-2, still a fun thing to play with).

Since I have had positive experiences working with PCs and radios, I picked up a used Ten-Tec RX-230 recently. I fully expected to need to install a good outdoor antenna to enjoy this receiver, and that's where I am today.

I'm considering a variety of possibilities. I'm just a beginner, but I think I'm finally beginning to grasp the very basics. I'd like to set up an antenna that will make help the RX-320 pull in some interesting things. I know I need to minimize noise as much as I need to boost signal.

I'm interesting in the shortwave bands in general, but definitely want to listen in on the tropical band, pirates, numbers stations, military and aircraft, and as soon as I install the cable i just ordered, DRM.

Step one, I think, is:

-planting a ground rod
-installing a grounding block on the windowsill

Here's where it gets fuzzy. Possibilities are:

-hooking up a wire to the gutters (someone suggested that on some page I read)
-building a magnetic loop antenna
-a longwire
-a dipole

My main obstacles are: I don't have a lot to spend; and it would inconvenient to install a great length of wire. There's no obvious way to mount one, short of tossing the other end of a wire into a tree- but if that's what it takes, I'll try it.

I've read a webpage by someone who has used a variety of antennas over the years, and has finally decided the magnetic loop, of all the designs he's tried, is really the way to go- the noise floor is lower, so you can copy a larger number of weak signals. But I assume you can ground a longwire and calm the noise down some as well, correct?

Another thing to consider is: I can get to the gutters, but I can't get to the roof of my building.

So, I'm getting there. I was hoping to bounce this off of some folks with experience before making a decision I'll ultimately regret.

Sorry for being so long winded. Any and all comments will be much appreciated.

Mike

This thread brings back a lot of memories for me. My dad was really into radioin' back in the 50s, and had a cb station setup in the 3rd floor attic of our farmhouse. Anyway, somebody gave him an old boat anchor of a receiver (I seem to remember it was a National) so he could do some SW listening. He put together a 3 element Yagi using 3 sets of tv "rabbit ears." The boom was extra long and was clamped to the attic windowsill. He ran it vertical, horizontal or in a "V" configuration, and adjusted the element lengths and spacing for best reception on the band he was working. I've always thought it was the most ingenious homebrew multi-band directional receiving antenna I've ever seen. It worked great. Thinking back about some of the gear he came up with still blows me away.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
The performance of the PAR Electronics EF-SWL sounds pretty impressive. Also, the loop project looks like a lot of fun.

I have some options to consider now. Thanks for the links, I very much appreciate it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned