• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna Tuner Questions

The antenna at 25:1 VSWR is not the issue....It's using Coax, feeding the antenna at 25:1...much worse issue than non-resonate antenna...MHO
All the Best
Gary

Thought it might help heat my attic. (y)
Also thought I might get a nibble from you by putting QRP on the hook as bait, Gary. :D

I'm going to stick with SWR's of 3.0 or less and occasionaly use my internal tuner. (When I get a radio that has one. :whistle:)

From all indications, I should be able to achieve that when my TAK-tenna gets here. ;) Then, so long, QRP. Hello world!

R71/Jim...Got ZERO issue with QRP...100+DXCC countries...missed WAS/QRP...NO ALASKA...built some of my own transmitters/transceivers and tuners for the journey...

I operated Field Day one year with a Zepp...HB/ Z match tuner w/4 ft ground rod...
Kit built 20m transceiver>5w...battery power...200+ contacts...had a Blast!

But giving up half(?) your power/efficiency???... using unbalanced feedline to basically a random wire...is QRPpppp
Just trying to be logical about it...roll up that coax and save, take that power robbing balun off and feed that antenna like a ZEPP antenna with twin lead / your tuner with a good ground...
A whole new world would open up to you, right from your attic:ROFLMAO:
All the Best
Gary

Screenshot-13_03_16-08_38_13-300x169.png

Twin 300 ohm....450 Ladder line....600 ohm Ladder line...the 1/2 wave length is not even critical...Your tuner has built-in 4:1...Go for it and I think you would be pleasantly surprised.

R71/Jim...Got ZERO issue with QRP...100+DXCC countries...missed WAS/QRP...NO ALASKA...built some of my own transmitters/transceivers and tuners for the journey...

I operated Field Day one year with a Zepp...HB/ Z match tuner w/4 ft ground rod...
Kit built 20m transceiver>5w...battery power...200+ contacts...had a Blast!

But giving up half(?) your power/efficiency???... using unbalanced feedline to basically a random wire...is QRPpppp
Just trying to be logical about it...roll up that coax and save, take that power robbing balun off and feed that antenna like a ZEPP antenna with twin lead / your tuner with a good ground...
A whole new world would open up to you, right from your attic:ROFLMAO:
All the Best
Gary

Screenshot-13_03_16-08_38_13-300x169.png

Twin 300 ohm....450 Ladder line....600 ohm Ladder line...the 1/2 wave length is not even critical...Your tuner has built-in 4:1...Go for it and I think you would be pleasantly surprised.

All in good fun, Gary. I appreciate all you do on this site. (y)

Okay, what the heck. Tired of being scared to ask. Maybe a few will be elated I stepped up and took the humiliation. Here goes.

"How does ladder line connect to the transceiver?" (n)

Hope you can still hear me because I feel one-inch-tall, and one-inch-tall people have little bitty voices. :(

Gotta go. Will look for your reply when I get home.

If you have a radio with a tuner that seems to search a lot before it stops or does not stop there is a very simple fix for that. I bought a Kenwood with a tuner that seemed to be non-functional. I put it up on my bench and hooked it up to a 50 Ohm resistive load. It whirred and clicked a few times and then stopped. On each and every band.
Went back to the truck and connected it back up to the antenna it would not tune to, turned the power on and hit the auto tune, with in 3 seconds it was tuned.
From not working to tuned in three seconds, that sounds fixed to me.

Some times they get way off center and the 50 Ohm resistor puts it back in the center of it's tuning range and you have to do it for every band.

Ladder line is balanced feedline. The un-un would be for connecting an unbalanced multi band antenna to balanced feedline. I'm not sure what is in the dx engineering box but I would research that before buying. They advertise it to be used with a 43ft vertical.

Ladder line is balanced feedline. The un-un would be for connecting an unbalanced multi band antenna to balanced feedline. I'm not sure what is in the dx engineering box but I would research that before buying. They advertise it to be used with a 43ft vertical.

I currently have a 10/20/40 end fed I'm happy with. My next purchase will be a new radio with more bells and whistles than my IC 7200 (a really good radio). I think I'd like a larger display and a spectrum scope. And a built-in tuner. No need for ladder line or related components at this time. Now, when I move to the country . . . perhaps. :D

I currently have a 10/20/40 end fed I'm happy with. My next purchase will be a new radio with more bells and whistles than my IC 7200 (a really good radio). I think I'd like a larger display and a spectrum scope. And a built-in tuner. No need for ladder line or related components at this time. Now, when I move to the country . . . perhaps. :D

Ok. I wasn't sure what you were working with. You asked how ladder line connected to the transceiver a few post back. I thought you were really wanting to know.

Was just curious, that's all. And embarrassed I didn't know. :whistle:

Nothing to be embarrassed about. Many people do it with a balun on the output of an unbalanced tuner...it works. With the right length of ladder line on the right length dipole a tuner may not be needed on one or more bands....I'll stop there before I start an off topic ramble. 73

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated