• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna ????

Your vehicle influences the rf pattern. Antenna placement is critical. Where your antenna is on the car either enhances, or dimishes communications in critical ways.
Notice the image:

View attachment 34440
I have a Breedlove Quick-Disconnect with the matching stake pocket mount installed in the front driver's side stake pocket. I have a 5' Wilson fiberglass and a Predator 10K with a 27" bottom shaft. I've swapped antennas a couple of times. The average VSWR on both antennas is below 1.3:5 on all channels. When Traveling on the NY Thruway (RT90 E & W) I can transmit and receive seven to ten miles in either direction. I don't know what the radiating pattern is but I have communicated with base stations located about ten miles north and south of the thruway and I'm OK with that.
Believe it or not, the best performance antenna for me is the Laird NMO 42" CB antenna installed on the Third Brake Light Antenna Mount, but I had no choice to remove the brake light antenna mount. With my neighbor watching, I removed the antenna and I tried to drive (very slowly) my (2019 F-350 Lariat 4 X 40) truck into the garage and the roof would not clear the garage door opening. The NMO mount casting protrudes about 3/4" above the roof of the truck.
I am currently using the 5' Wilson antenna because it is easier to store in the cab when I'm not on the road.

I have a Breedlove Quick-Disconnect with the matching stake pocket mount installed in the front driver's side stake pocket. I have a 5' Wilson fiberglass and a Predator 10K with a 27" bottom shaft. I've swapped antennas a couple of times. The average VSWR on both antennas is below 1.3:5 on all channels. When Traveling on the NY Thruway (RT90 E & W) I can transmit and receive seven to ten miles in either direction. I don't know what the radiating pattern is but I have communicated with base stations located about ten miles north and south of the thruway and I'm OK with that.
Believe it or not, the best performance antenna for me is the Laird NMO 42" CB antenna installed on the Third Brake Light Antenna Mount, but I had no choice to remove the brake light antenna mount. With my neighbor watching, I removed the antenna and I tried to drive (very slowly) my (2019 F-350 Lariat 4 X 40) truck into the garage and the roof would not clear the garage door opening. The NMO mount casting protrudes about 3/4" above the roof of the truck.
I am currently using the 5' Wilson antenna because it is easier to store in the cab when I'm not on the road.
I have the 5’wilson silver load as well , it is top loaded and has been the best antenna that I have tried on my jeep so far. I have not tried a 102” whip yet and have been thinking about it, but would probably hit everything under the sun. I have the tail light bracket antenna mount.

It does work well, was just wanting to see if I could get a little more distance with a 102”. There is a few of us in a small jeep riding group that like to compete in the cb world, if ya know what I mean ; )

I have the 5’wilson silver load as well , it is top loaded and has been the best antenna that I have tried on my jeep so far. I have not tried a 102” whip yet and have been thinking about it, but would probably hit everything under the sun. I have the tail light bracket antenna mount.
I've settled on my "home brew" experiment mobile antenna. I have a 22" bottom shaft from the Predator attached to the Breedlove Stake Pocket Mount and attached a Stryker SR-2K coil and stinger.

Reactions: Klint
For temporary use, I have seen guys bond the hood to the body tub with wide ground straps to the firewall. Then, throw a mag mount for CB and or GMRS on the hood. Looks kinda silly for daily driving, but I imagine it would work pretty well on the trail.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.