• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna ????

Klint

Mar 13, 2019
Got a crazy question for you guys. I have a cobra 29 with a little fire in the wire and while I am talking to friends while sitting still , we can talk for several miles. It also talks well while I am moving as long as they are in front or to either side ( left or right). As soon as we leave and going away from one another we loose each other inside of a mile. I’ve tried that scenario with other people to and get same results. They loose me and I loose them. Swr is in the 1:2 to 1:5 range. My antenna is a 5’wilson silver top load. I have it mounted on the back of my jeep. It stands above the roof line probably 2 1/2 feet or better. Just wanted to pick y’all’s brain on this, because it’s got me scratching mine..lol Thanks in advance KW

Got a crazy question for you guys. I have a cobra 29 with a little fire in the wire and while I am talking to friends while sitting still , we can talk for several miles. It also talks well while I am moving as long as they are in front or to either side ( left or right). As soon as we leave and going away from one another we loose each other inside of a mile. I’ve tried that scenario with other people to and get same results. They loose me and I loose them. Swr is in the 1:2 to 1:5 range. My antenna is a 5’wilson silver top load. I have it mounted on the back of my jeep. It stands above the roof line probably 2 1/2 feet or better. Just wanted to pick y’all’s brain on this, because it’s got me scratching mine..lol Thanks in advance KW

You have no ground plane (metal) behind you. That’s why the best place to mount an antenna is in the center of the roof. There it will work well in each direction. (y)

Thanks guys, you all have cleaned that up for me. Not really much I can do about it then , other than mount the thing in the center of my hood.. haha my jeep has a hard top , but it’s not metal.

Your vehicle influences the rf pattern. Antenna placement is critical. Where your antenna is on the car either enhances, or dimishes communications in critical ways.
Notice the image:

View attachment 34440

Don't think I've ever seen this illustration, Homer.
It cuts to the chase and is easy to understand.
And a whole lot better than someone trying to explain it in words.(y)

It is a little odd that there are two pics for the left rear. One fender and one bumper. (n)

@Riverman
Yep, odd, until you think it through.
The fender mount refers to a through the body left rear quarter panel puck, or similar, and the bumper refers to an actual bumper mount or perhaps a extreme rear spare tire rack mount.
Both are very unfriendly to backwards comms.

Reactions: Slowmover
@Riverman
The fender mount refers to a through the body left rear quarter panel puck, or similar, and the bumper refers to an actual bumper mount or perhaps a extreme rear spare tire rack mount.

Ah! Caught in my modus operandi (not thinking things through). :D

Thanks! Keep up the good work! (y)

Reactions: HomerBB
Thanks guys, you all have cleaned that up for me. Not really much I can do about it then , other than mount the thing in the center of my hood.. haha my jeep has a hard top , but it’s not metal.
Drive backwards? :confused:

Jeeps are popular SUVs on which to mount CB, but not easy to get good performance.

See BELLS CB for one kit. Others similar are out there. (TeraFlex). BREEDLOVE MOUNTS may have a suggestion.

Rear of hood near windshield would be where I’d start. (It might be unrealistic, but lining topper with heavy copper foil an idea to research)

Biggest second problem Jeep owners give themselves is low antenna height.

13’5” is what we use with big trucks.

A 5’ antenna (unobstructed) is a sort of starting point. Even taller = better.

As to radio mounts there at least one that fits above rearview mirror. A smaller AM-only PRESIDENT would fit that.

Bumper-mount screwdriver antennas is where antenna tech ooks to get interesting. Aussie off-road has examples.

Reactions: 22racer
@Riverman

Spare tire mount is aftermarket-supported, thus popular. It’s as if the worst is intentionally given as best. We’re JEEP serious about 4WD, they’d have an entire handbook on CB then Amateur ops from their vehicles.

Nope. Coozies, tee shirts and baby-boy ball caps to go with facial hair and tattoos. The 14-yr old transgender ideal of “manly”.

Effective vehicle comms might lead some to wrong-think.

So, let’s get muddy, waste gasoline and break an axle. Not consider that vehicle use is tied to being useful.

An engine that can transport itself & men plus fuel, supplies & gear in a trailer to locations without paved roads is the whole point of such a vehicle. Thereby generate electricity.

A scout.

Smoke signals in the dark won’t help.

Ineffective radio of any sort is a dead end.

Money & fuel-use would be better off with a ROKON for each man, instead

A look thru JEEP military and civilian optional equipment (add-ons) post war — as well as UNI-MOG — give a FAR better idea of how to use one as shown by men who could think. Farming, forestry and other such.

What couldn’t get done with a farm tractor and a Jeep? Just add fuel. Relay messages thru the base.

Want a landing strip? Check.

Want a staging area big enough to turn around big trucks? Check.

Etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated