• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

antenna

butterbean

May 26, 2010
i want to put up 4 ele. hoz. 10meter beam but also i want a maco v58 on top i plane on 2independent runs of 400 coax can i do this please tell me how thanks carl in alabama

If it was me, I would use a Imax2000 or A99 and mount it directly to the beams boom. You will be using the beam as your ground plane. But with the macos radials, you should mount it a few feet above the beam.
Rich

Make sure and and align the radials of the Maco v5/8 so that they are inline with the Yagi's boom and elements. Other than that, just make sure your rotator can support the whole thing...

...and what Doc said :)

thanks can i just remove the radials and the v58 just mounts over the mast should i run a ground strap from ant mount to the boom to make them one 2 sets of 400 coax no prob. just want to be diffrent and have fun thanks folks carl

LMR 400 coax -unless it is the 'Flex' version- would be far too stiff to use with a rotor. Either the LMR 400 Ultraflex or Belden 9913Flex would be recommended - as they are nearly the same coax at the same price. The LMR is better, in that it uses a different insulation material, but is also a bit stiffer than the Belden cable. RG-213 is another choice that can be used, as it is a bit cheaper and also flexible. So long as you are using 50-100 ft - it should work nearly as well as the Belden or the LMR.

5/8 maco over 4 element beam

Here you go. this is how it should be done with a antenna with radials so it won't intract with the other. If you would go with the Imax 2000 thogh you can mount it right above the beam 6 inches or so.

Attachments

• maco 58 over 4 ele beam.jpg
    maco 58 over 4 ele beam.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 164
This is how this operator mounted everything in pic.

a quick rundown.
42' tower with thrust bering on top to support the weight.
21'of 1-1/2"sched40 galvanised pipe for mast plus a reducer and 3' 1" galv so Maco V58 could go on top.
53'agl to the pl connector on the Maco
43'agl to the center of the boom for the beam.
CDE AR-22xl rotator
104'SWI rg-213 for the beam
140'Times LMR-240 for the Maco.

Hope this helps you,
AP

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.