• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

antennas

accoolman

Jan 17, 2014
looking to put up a set of beams. i have never used beams and would like to talk skip and local can someone recommend what would be best to buy? thank you, accoolman

Have you decided that what you want to do isn't exactly as simple as you may have thought? There are a lot of factors that determine what's 'best' for you. There's no single antenna that is 'best' for everyone or every situation! Man, I wish there was, it would make things much easier.
There are some very basic things to consider.
Do you have room to put up a beam antenna?
Can you afford to put up a beam antenna?
Will a beam antenna be worth the effort of putting up to start with?
All of those questions need to be researched. The last question -usually- is a 'yes', but it's not a definite thingy at all. The first question is the biggy! HF directional antennas are 'large', not all of us have the room to do one right (or even close to 'right'). And that second question is where most people get 'bit' the hardest. The antenna it's self is probably the cheapest thing in the whole mess. All the other things required typically are twice as expensive, tower/pole, rotor, cabling, guying, and all the 'other' things necessary.
I an NOT trying to talk you out of putting up a beam! Just be aware that there are 'hidden' expenses...
- 'Doc

If you are going to put up a set of beams you are already looking at a large to work with
having the beams setup where they will work as one is the key.
might just think about a larger flatside yagi

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.