• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antennas

178 NASTI1

Dec 24, 2021
I’m running the Wilson 1000 antennas on my mobiles. Ran them back in the 90s. Was looking at the Stryker SR – A10 and they sound nice. Has anyone experienced the difference between these two antennas? I currently run a tuned Stryker 447HPC2 and a tuned Galaxie big rig series.

I happen to have the same antennas: the Wilson 1000 and the Stryker A10. They both perform well and are comparable.

Here in the Keys, I've spoken barefoot mobile to barefoot base (Uniden PC 122 with A99) around 40 miles with each. By comparison, my Radio Shack magnetic mounts with the less than 3' stingers will get me about 20.

The base of my A99 is only about 10' off of the ground due to HOA limitations. I suspect a little more height would allow for a few more miles, but I think the mobile antennas are doing everything I could expect out of them.

I have/had a Sirio to replace a Wilson 5000, the Sirio would fill with water and cause the SWR to change. I had the Sirio on less than a week, went back to the Wilson 5000.

When it worked, the Sirio did seem to out edge the Wilson, but sadly only when dry.

I live in Washington State, you may have heard a bit about our rain, so my Sirio Tornado has 3m tape (sticky waterproof and then wrapped with electrical) at each joint and was put up as winter was starting. The instructions do not say to do this but I saw a few posts on YouTube and around the net and took the extra 15 minutes when constructing it.

From Western WA, I have worked Japan, Brazil and Australia when conditions are right and have worked all states.

I have a mobile Sirio 5000 with mag mount that has been around for 6 years now, tested over 100MPH, and worked the East coast at 70MPH on I-5! It is also quieter than my 102" Hustler that I have as a "sure thing" back up.

Just sharing my experience.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.