• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anti static strap on a car and antenna proformance

nfsus

Yeah its turned off, touch it
May 9, 2011
Arkansas
I've been thinking about something. Yeah o think about a bunch of stuff all the ti e. What are the possibility that you could add a chain or a real antistatic ground strap to your car. Would adding that and making a better ground from the car to the real earth make the ground plane work better? Yeah itll help with static build up but what would or could it do to the efficiency of a mobile antenna?

I did it once, noticed no difference.

It probably depends on the source of static to whether it'll be effective.

Many fuel tanker trucks have used them attached to the trailers rear axle dragging on the pavement as a way to help static discharge but I don't notice them anymore.

These trucks today use a scully ground hookup when loading fuel to be used for grounding and static discharge.

Those static straps are just meant to prevent static buildup to stop getting a static-shock when you get out of the vehicle. As for enhancing your RF ground...........nope. The wire is not always in contact with the ground while in motion. It bounces around. Also, it is of far too small size to properly bond to true earth ground. Thirdly the vehicle has a fairly decent coupling to true earth ground via capacitance. That's a lot of surface area.

Reactions: nfsus
if you want to dissipate static from a mobile antenna, you need to DC ground that antenna, and the way to do that is with a small inductor connected at the feedpoint going from center conductor to shield.

the value and characteristics of this coil must make it look like a high resistance at 27mhz, but it will act like a short for DC.

no, i do not happen to have the dimensions of such a coil handy.
LC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated