• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antlion Modmic

2RT307

Nov 22, 2011
Texas
I've been wanting to get a headset for HF for some time now, and was really set on getting the Audio Technica BPHS-1 that Unit399 reviewed here on the site. The thing is, I really love my AKG K271 Mk II headphones. They have a flat response, are extremely comfortable, and have individual cut off switches for each "can" when you pull it off your ear, or pull them off your head. They are over the ear with a closed back, so I don't get any feedback while monitoring my transmissions. So, I bought an "add on" mic to put on my AKG's. I had to get an adapter to go to XLR from mini 1/8, but other than that, I should be good to go. Have any of you guys tried these units, and what were your experiences?

http://www.modmic.com/

Brett

I guess I like to keep it simple....Heil Pro Set 6.

Well, I already had a boom mic and was using headphones with that. As I mentioned, I really like the AKG's, so I wanted to keep using them. Mic arrived today, and I have it installed. Working pretty well, but I need an XLR adapter (ordered the wrong one) to use it with my W2IHY stuff. Works great on my laptop though.

Brett
20161031_164520.jpg
20161031_164456.jpg

Looks good. I have a high end Razor gaming headset that I'd like to try out on my hf rig but I'd need to buy the SCU-17 to do it.
There are some websites out there with plans to make a little box that provides power to the electret mic in most of the gamer headsets so that you can run it right into the mic jack. Pretty cheap to make, I think. And you can buy a pre-made one here:
http://w2eny.com/adapterbatterybox/

The mod mic is a dynamic mic, so no power needed for it to work.

Brett

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.