• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ANTRON 99 crushed on back fence

Mar 25, 2012
Oklahoma
ANTRON 99 crushed on back fence.

I could not find any help to get this antenna up and the old 35 tower/pole like a Rohn tower that was so light without the antenna and coax felt like 500 lbs, so I dropped it.

The first section broke in the middle but when I straightened it out , it seemed like it could be fix. (broke off one ground rail not worried about that, impossible to fix almost).

So I tried some duck tape. That didn't work as soon as I started lifting and it was 5 feet off the ground it started to droop over.

What I was wondering is if anyone or ones think if I get some fiberglass bondo like what they use on corvettes and slathered 2 or 3 coats on it, if that might work.

Or dos anyone know where to just buy the bottom section,

I will never try to put an antenna up myself again, I ate my guts out for about 12 hour, that antenna was given to me by a friend.

I did get a J pole in the air though, dos it mater if one of the guy wires are touching the mounting part of the j pole? I get good SWR I will be changing it soon, but it should not mater as this j pole is inside PVC pipe.

Any help or info appreciated.

Slothq

i had one i crushed a few months ago, i haven't used it in about 5 years so im not sure if i will fix it, but i wouldnt use fiberglass body filler, i would use a nice thick weave fiberglass matt, with some resin, and possibly jelly resin, sand the area down well, glass it with several layers, and then wet it with a jelly resin and slide a pvc sleeve over, that would be stronger than new.

Thanks, where would I acquire this type of fiberglass ?
And I am starting to think I might sell the remaining pieces for enough on ebay to get a new antenna.

hey thanks for the ideas.
Slothq

Thanks, where would I acquire this type of fiberglass ?
And I am starting to think I might sell the remaining pieces for enough on ebay to get a new antenna.

hey thanks for the ideas.
Slothq

They are cheap antennas and not work fixing IMO. Buy a new one and get someone to help you next time for crying out loud. :headbang

I have one that broke at the base of the middle section.

A 4' wooden dowel, some zip ties, silicon caulk and a bunch of electrical tape made it stronger than ever.

Great idea, I think I shall try it, maybe have it up by next weekend.

thanks
Slothq,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and I am going to re-register with Slothq, so you all know.
keep the ideas coming if anyone has a better idea than the wooden dowel and zips.

I been thinking about this, not sure how to do it yet but sounds even better than the dowel rod. I think measure real good split or cut a slit an inch or 3 quarters in the PVC just enough to get around the antenna, then use PVC glue the glue back the piece I cut out then like about 6 zip ties maybe?

anyway anyone close to El Reno want to help put this up next weekend.

Slothq

I recently purchased a new mid and top section on ebay $13.00 for one $14.00 for the other .had them in hand in a week.

I recently purchased a new mid and top section on ebay $13.00 for one $14.00 for the other .had them in hand in a week.

Yeah I been watching seen the tops and mids but no main section yet, going to shop for PVC and zip ties today.

thanks I will check ebay today as well.
Slothq

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.