• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antron 99 top radial

I believe it's called a corona ball. Suppose to keep static down and other things. Just can't remember all the stuff from years back. But cutting it off definitely won't change take off or blow up a radio.
Yeah! Ha! ha! We installed resistance spark plugs, resistance spark plug wires, high-performance ignition coils, coated the distributor cap with waterproof "junk", RG8 coax from the battery to the radio, noise filters near the alternator, braided ground straps, etc. etc., just to get rid of the static. What a joke that was! Lol!

Omni-directional antenna and vertical dipole, or horizontal dipole for that matter, have null areas in their radiation patterns; in the direction to which the element is pointed. I'd been led to believe, perhaps wrongly, that the ball is an enhancement to insuring that null area; and, absence of the ball is not measurable with a SWR meter. This ball may be exemplified by the top hat on a Sirio GPE 5/8 or Hi-Gain 500. I believe there is a term for these top hats; whether that is Corona ball or not? Why all verticals aren't similarly adorned may be simple matter of don't-shivagit designers. On the otherhand they be unnecessary due to construction material; wherein, the radiating element is not directly exposed to atmosphere.. And as far as shivagit matters, the small amount of energy emanated to the stars may fall in that realm as well, for you.
If not so, I stand corrected.

Thank you Recon for suggesting the manner of releasing the whip from it's threaded base; and installing set screws.

Knee Biter, your rant was informative.

Corona ball are used to eliminate the appearance of "fire" or "light" shooting off your antenna; caused by corona discharge off the ends of the elements, often when high power is used.
It is from this I surmise the Corona ball maintains the null area and prevents wasted energy to the stars.
Again if not so, I stand corrected.

Last edited:
seems like at 1 time walcott radio had a cut down firestick for A99's. might been the worlds largest truck stop cb shop too cant remember. i dabbled with diffrent top stingers n put it back like it was built .no change no gain

I get an impression the top length of the A99 is subject to damage often? Makes for a great selling attribute; for Walcot or others?
Built-in obsolesence.
Why Antron, Solarcon, whomever, doesn't have replacements @ 1/2 price is a lost oportunity.

Firestik 6' ? What if? Better price than a 102" whip.
Would that be a Top Loaded A99 :eek:

Last edited:
IMO,

Cheapest Solution:
Get this at Walmart and have 1 replacement and 3 spares. These are 72", not loaded, and have 3/8x24 threads. Mount it on an antenna mount and you can cut off a little to make it resonant @ 32.650 Mhz (use an Antenna Analyzer) and you are good to go.

Sturdiest solution:
Use any SS whip and cut from the top (larger diameter radiator has a broader bandwidth). Make sure and "round off" the tip. Again mount in an antenna mount and cut to make resonant @ 32.650Mhz.

Why 32.650Mhz?

Walcott Radio:
"The upper section, basically a straight piece of wire encapsulated in fiberglass, is cut to length to make the entire unit resonant in the 11-meter CB band. In order to accomplish that, the upper section, as a stand-alone antenna, resonates at about 32.650 MHz."

Good Luck

Reactions: Marconi and Rwb
Imax GPK is similar to the Procomm unit Dr. DX linked to above. The Procomm unit is less expensive.
I've one of the Imax GPKits having one radial damaged. My point for mention is the wire gage. It's not 12 or even 14AWG but more likely 18AWG, maybe 16AWG at best. They are after-all, a ground plane radials.

These radials are 71.75" L and 1.625" caps on them.

I used the GPK mounting bracket and afixed 4X 102" whips to it. I feel it provided remarkable improvement for my receive.

For the price of 6-pk of craft beer and shipping, I've 3 available; they have 3/8-24 threaded connectors. They have some age to them and would need some light sanding and a coat of marine urethane.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr_DX and Rwb
Cutting the 102" SS Whip? Perhaps there will be validations on this?
The bead at the peak of the antenna has a purpose. Without it, the radiation pattern changes. A replacement will be necessary to put a cap on it.
I've heard there are these whips that can be detached at their base. I've 4 and none having a set screw at the base enabling tuning from the bottom.
The ball is a corona ball. This will not affect anything if it is missing. Some whips are sold without them. Others manufactures have corona balls that are crimped on, some have a setscrew in them for attachment after trimming. A split shot weight crimped on, would have the same affect.

Reactions: Rwb
The ball is a corona ball. This will not affect anything if it is missing. Some whips are sold without them. Others manufactures have corona balls that are crimped on, some have a setscrew in them for attachment after trimming. A split shot weight crimped on, would have the same affect.
There is a purpose/reason for the corona ball. Otherthan the dampening of lightning bolts from the ends of a high powered antenna, I contend that it serves to preserve the null areas off the end of a monople. How much wasted energy is directed into space, towards the stars, I've no idea. But to state that when missing it will not effect anything is no reason for it having been in place to start. It wasn't install so you wouldn't poke your eye out.

1667136650854.png
1667136749907.png

Potentially there is several hundred amps on a 5000W antenna.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rwb
There is a purpose/reason for the corona ball. Otherthan the dampening of lightning bolts from the ends of a high powered antenna, I contend that it serves to preserve the null areas off the end of a monople. How much wasted energy is directed into space, towards the stars, I've no idea. But to state that when missing it will not effect anything is no reason for it having been in place to start. It wasn't install so you wouldn't poke your eye out.

View attachment 61071View attachment 61072
A corona ball has no other purpose than dissipating static buildup or making a poke in the eye less damaging. It has no affect on pattern. Current maxima in a 1/4 wave vertical is closer to the feedpoint.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated