• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

antron 99 vs shakespear big stick

i agree with freecell, the early shaki bigstick and super bigstick are coaxial dipoles in a tube even the later 3 piece shakis are coax in a tube, people here used to idolise them because they cost more than an aluminum halfwave endfed and worked good in skipland, i tested them at 36foot in my dads field against aluminum gp27 endfeds and the shakespeers always lost, the main reason people thought they worked good for skip is conditions were so good back then you could work dx with 4w and a dv27 on a biscuit tin, back in the day people that wanted to dx just went and bought the most expensive antenna and put up higher than the none dxers then sat telling the rest how great the superbigstick was, in reallity they were the worst performing halfwave antenna i ever tested, i swapped my superbigstick for a brand new A/S mighty magnum 3, the guy who went and bought the magnum to swap me thought he was robbing me hahahaha wrong, the magnum wiped the floor with the superbigstick.

Reactions: Junebug
Boy reading some of these posts here in the antenna
section brings back the old memories.
Best thing to do if you want to see how an antenna
performs is to simply put it up and give it a whirl.
Heck for $10, i wouldn't think twice. If your happy
with the results leave it up. If not, buy something
bigger and badder.
If your real serious about getting great performance,
you only have one choice. That's to buy the best you
can get and forget the others. The antenna is the heart
of your system.
There will always be new antennas coming out that claim
there the best, its a never ending cycle.
So, sometimes making the choice to whats best, seems
impossible...LOL - The Big Stiks,A-99s are average performers.
So, expect average results.
For some people that's good enough for them and there
happy. And there's nothing wrong with that. Because the
antenna is living up to there expectations of what they want
out of DX and local talking.
Live in a windy area and buy a cheaply made antenna, expect
to pick the pieces up someday. It's all up to you on whats going make you happy!

Shakespear vs A99

RW, You hit the nail right on the head, at 10 dollars put it up and try it, hell I've worked europe from my QTH in New Zealand on an A99 when the band was open, put it up and use it, if you want something better later buy it then. The only problem I can see with the fiberglass antenna's is a little more noise and probably a bit more TVI and this applies to most of the glass antenna's. I am presently considering shifting my NBS 2010 to our beach house and replacing it with one of the Aluminium groundplanes . At this stage I have narrowed the choice down to either Jay's I10K OR Coily's Enforcer, both of which seem to give excellent performance.
Murray

When i spoke of Big Stiks as average i was referring
to the smaller or half wave models they produced.
I've never used the 21 ft Big Stik,so, i can not make
a comment on that one.
Good Luck with your next purchase of an Antenna
there Oldpirate. I love my I-10K, but, can not comment
on the Coily Enforcer as I have never owned or tried
one. Good Luck!

Shakespear vs A99

Jim, I've only tested the three antenna's via ground wave so have no idea how much different the skip performance would be.
on ground wave through quite mountainous terrain there was no difference between the NBS 2010 and the Imax 2K.
Noise was about the same as the Imax however TVI was lower on the NBS than the Imax. My tests were conducted with a Kenwood TS140s which has a better meter on it than any of the other radio's I own, not to scientific but gave me a good idea about what works and what doesn't.
Murray

I may be wrong but I think the only difference between the old big stick and supper big stick is How long it is. The fiberglass peice was just longer. Top was the same.

Wasn't the Super BS still just two pieces? Seems I recall it just provided for more power to be run.

antenna

thats what mine looks like it got the rubber boot 2 section 18 feet tall did you have good luck with it jim i can stick antennas up and down all the time its a hassel but i think im actaully gunna stick a i max 2000 up because im kinda in a valley and i herd the i maxx radiates upwards

Antenna's

351 before you run out and buy an Imax do a bit of research on what tv channels are being used in your area , if there are channels being used between 50 and 60 mhz forget about the Imax, A99 or for that matter any of the fiberglass antenna's and go with the Maco V 5/8 or one of the other aluminium groundplane antenna's.
Murray

Call me unlucky or whatever,but, i never had luck with
the A-99 or Imax 2000 antennas as far as having to
much recieve static and TVI-RFI problems.
Had same problem with Big sticks also.
But, thats me and maybe not you. Just got to try
things for yourself to see if it works for you or not.
Throw up and try that's the only true way your know
what works for ya.
Ask and take advice with a grain of salt. Try things out
for yourself, that way you never wonder, you will know!

About the valley thing. I've heard of guys tilting
there beams up in the air to try and get out of
the valley better. IT JUST DOESN'T WORK THIS WAY!
You need a low angle of radiation for good local talking
and good DX talking. Living in a valley is just a
misfortune your have to live with: unless you move
someday, choose a hilltop....LOL
You may have to choose a Omni or Beam
Antenna you can get the best performance out of.
Antennas that radiate more up in the air, will be
less effective.
By the way, A-99-Imax 2000 talk decent DX.
Big Sticks, so, far back since i used them, can't comment.

antennas

i was told that it would be better to use the i max because of the take off angle i live in a high valley like 750 feet and town is down is down in the columbia river valley but most of the regulars out here use i max 2000's or maco 5/8 and for beams they use moonraker 4 or lasers and they point them at mt st helens and thats how they talk skip i wanted to try somthing different nothing like the others had

Antennas

351, I also live in a valley, surrounding hills are about 50 ft higher than the top of my antenna on one side the top of the hills is about 100yards away and on the other side about three hundred yards away there was no difference between tx and rx on either of the 5/8 antennas.
We also did tests from our beach house where the hills are over 1500ft higher at a distance of 4miles from the base.
Both 5/8s, Shakespear nbs2010 and Imax performed exactly the same the takeoff angle had no effect. I think you would get the same results with any 5/8. what you need to do is get whichever antenna you choose as high as possible.
I originally had my Shakespear at 45ft above the ground but when I lifted it to full height at 61ft I was getting over a two S unit increase to stations thirty miles away.
Don't think I am knocking the Imax it is a very cost and labour effective antenna.Pluses are the bandwidth and ease of installation. The jury is still out on the effectiveness of the groundplane kit and I did try one on the A99 but didn't see any improvement.
Murray
Murray

Yes, whatever antenna you choose to run, get
it up as high as you can. I agree with that 100%.
I live in PA. surrounded by mountains, so, i understand
the Valley situation. I dream of broadcasting high
off of a hilltop all the time....LOL... But, i do not plan
to move,so, all i can do is dream...LOL
But, honestly it takes a low angle of radiation from
an antenna to talk the best local and DX.
Higher angles are said, to hit short dx better.
Less than 1000 miles.
Just try to get your antenna at least 36 ft to the feedpoint
of antenna.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.