• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Any hf rigs do 11m frequency from new?

just good ol' Browning-type audio reminiscent from years ago... and how the 29's (and my 77) sound these days.

The Brownings use an audio clipper followed by a low pass filter. That could be done to a ham rig outboard but the low end (bass) must be cut out.

I heard somewhere that there's an AM mod for the 706 that greatly improves its rather feeble stock AM audio. Does anyone know the details?

I'd also like to know if anyone has tried any other mic with theirs. I tried a couple Heil mics, but they didn't do much for the audio on AM. They were so poorly made that their design flaws soon left them useless.

The only page that comes up is IC-706 Page
The KE1GF link is four years old, dead and buried.

Keep in mind the 706 has been out for a long time, and surely there is a difference between the 706 you can get today, and the one you bought 5+ years ago.

Thanks, dudmuck.

Mine is a MKII (not a "G" model) and is over 10 years old!

And, in keeping with the topic of this thread, even though it didn't do 11 meters from the factory, its modification for general coverage transmit was quite easy.

Even though the AM is somewhat lackluster (as well as CW and FM), its SSB, performance is quite good.

Get yourself an FT101E, It comes with an 11 meter positon on the band switch. It does AM USB LSB and CW(No FM) But they sound great on AM. Its hard to beat that plate modulation! I use mine every other night in my rotation of rigs. I use it on 80 meters also with excellent audio reports. With my AM carrier set to 30 watts, I see around 140 on voice peaks, and thats not even hitting it hard.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.