• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Any radio do 11 meter as well

bcrewcaptain said:
I think I hit a sore spot....it'll be ok though
talk about being on topic...I thing mr morse blew that with his typical response.
nobody is disputing the fact if you break the rules you suffer the concequences(what that has to do with being a FF I dunno...but I"ll pretend to play the game)
this silly little battle has been played out, a person simply asked a question as to equipment, a constructive answer is what I would thing was expected, not a class in "how you should always abide to the letter of the law"
anyway...back to the topic.....if there is anything else you would like me to discuss, create a topic in the proper section, PM me, email me...whatever...I'm not hard to find

Look, this is a thread about Amateur Radio, right? Lots of people ask this very question on other boards not knowing that if you use an Amateur transceiver on 11 Meters you are putting your license at risk. All I did was to suggest that the poster not do this and opt for a legal CB radio to use on 11M. No angst meant. IOW, all I did was tell the truth. I didn't criticize anyone, yell at the poster about it; I merely posted the facts. It would be nice to be able to use one radio for both services but the rules don't allow it. By the same token, you can't use a ham transceiver for ham and.............say, your volunteer fire department frequencies. Nice, but no dice. It is just the way it is.

I was at a hamfest SEVERAL months ago talking to an ICOM rep, this was just when they stopped making the ICOM IC-703,reason being,,,,,,,, he said the 703 was putting out 5 watts on AM and 10 watts on SSB. It was a qrp rig with a built in antenna tuner. Also these radios a person could dial down the wattage via the menu to .1 watt.

I said SO that what a QRP rig is suppose to do?????

He told me that the radio was selling for $399.00 and became VERY popular with the CB crowd because you could modify for 11 meter turn down the wattage for an illegal amp and BAM your all set,,,,,,,with a bonus!!!!!!!! It also had a built in antenna tuner, a person could take a decent antenna like a FireStik and tune 10-11-12 and 15 meters.

Now they only sell the 703 PLUS

same radio but 6 meter is included, price now $699.00!!! not as popular a radio now for the cb crowd :(

Sounds like Icom figured out they could stick 3 bucks worth more do dads, and charge 300 more bucks for the same rig, then blame the price on the cbers! Ham radio I love it!

Happy_Hamer said:
you could modify for 11 meter turn down the wattage for an illegal amp and BAM your all set,,,,,,,with a bonus!!!!!!!! It also had a built in antenna tuner, a person could take a decent antenna like a FireStik and tune 10-11-12 and 15 meters.
:(

built in antenna tuner won't work with an amp inline, but dat would be the shizzzzzzzzz

Hey guys out of respect for Qain who is a relatively new member asking a simple question, let's ALL try to keep on topic.
Please let's not push it!!! Thanks you
73,Stu

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.