• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Any radio do 11 meter as well

Qain

Aug 20, 2005
Western Maryland
I was looking for that elusive all in one solution. I like the Yat 8900 rig but would also like a radio to do 11 meter. Some local fellows use it as well as my father. It would also come in handy on the trails for close work. Is there such a thing as a 2,6,10,11 meter radio?

Thanks

Hello Qain, the answer is no.The yaesu ft 8900 quad bander is a 70cm,2m,6m and 10 meter FM rig only,which BTW requires a license to use.(if you didn't know)

Now you can use an all mode HF/vhf/uhf rig and do extended tx mod and get what your looking for,however this too requires license.I hope this helps.

73,Stu

Yeah I knew the Yat would not do what I was looking for. But it would be just about perfect if it did do the 11 meter as well. I knew I needed a licence. I take the test in november. I am looking at what rig I will get at that point. Any other radios old or new that will do what I would like?

Hello Qain, good luck with your test in Nov.
Here is a list of rigs that would do it all,but remember a modification is required to get 11 meters.

Any Icom 706 series,706mII,706mIIg

Any Yaesu ft100,ft100d,ft857,ft857d,ft897,ft897d

Hope this helps and once again good luck with your test.

73,Stu

Well that all in one elusive solution is the Ranger AR3500 by Clear Channel Inc. if you can still find one (eBay has them from time to time. How about 150w on CW, 120w on SSB, 30 on AM/FM with LOUD 'n CLEAR modulation, full coverage from 10-12 meters. The radio draws 25 amps@ 12vdc. and the large rear heatsink proves it. Forget fussing around with modifying a stupid Uniden or Cobra CB. The AR3500 as well as the Uniden HR2510 (& its clones) walk the talk (for mobiles).

r

What people are omitting is that the use of Amateur equipment on 11 Meters is illegal and will jeopardize your license. You should consider purchasing and using a separate, LEGAL, CB for that. :)

and we all know that those that have a ticket would never mod a radio/amp or other toy to operate illegally....
thats right...all hams are perfect and don't do that...
don't get me started on this one....
Even after seeing this drivil daily I still am gonna go get my ticket.....wow

bcrewcaptain said:
and we all know that those that have a ticket would never mod a radio/amp or other toy to operate illegally....
thats right...all hams are perfect and don't do that...
don't get me started on this one....
Even after seeing this drivil daily I still am gonna go get my ticket.....wow

Look, you're a fire department officer. You have standard orders and rules and regulations that affect you and your crew when you're on the jab, right? There are things that you are stenuously required to do and things you are prohibited from doing. If you fail to observe those orders and SOP, you will place people in jeapardy.

What does this have to do with the topic? You follow the FCC regs regarding radio services. You don't try to get around them unless you're willing to get in trouble for doing them. That's what would happen on the job if you decide to go against the orders and rules and SOP.

Your job as capt on a shift requires observing rules and such because whatever you do, other people are going to be affected by them.

I am vehemently agasint discussion of modifiing amateur equipment for use on CB on this section.It's totolly against Part 95 to operate a radio not certified for use on CB. run higher power, or any other thing outside of which the FCC permits. Law breaking is the subject and discussing it does not beling here. It's not an amateur radio topic. It belongs elsewhere.

I think I hit a sore spot....it'll be ok though
talk about being on topic...I thing mr morse blew that with his typical response.
nobody is disputing the fact if you break the rules you suffer the concequences(what that has to do with being a FF I dunno...but I"ll pretend to play the game)
this silly little battle has been played out, a person simply asked a question as to equipment, a constructive answer is what I would thing was expected, not a class in "how you should always abide to the letter of the law"
anyway...back to the topic.....if there is anything else you would like me to discuss, create a topic in the proper section, PM me, email me...whatever...I'm not hard to find

CDX616 said:
ok move on people there's nothing to see here

Chuckles!!!!!

Hey, I was wondering about the TS2000. I think I'd like a radio that does 23cm also. I thought about the IC706MKIIG and it seems like the best CB I'll ever find, just missing microwave. Do you guys know if the TS2000 will do 11 meters?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.