• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Any Specific Name for This Arrangement?

Haha it can be, and often is! When used properly it's an addition to a pre-existing circuit.
"Snubber Circuit" that's neat, I'm going to do some more reading.

Anyone have thoughts about using this circuit to mod a ept3600 series export board (or the old-school Uniden it cloned from). What is happening when this arrangement replaces C189 on an older export, & polarity matters.

[photo="medium"]4310[/photo] .

I am going to post my own conclusion, eventually.

Thanks guys, have a great day!
-LeapFrog

Last edited:
These particular radios are hard to find, as they are desirable and now worth real $$$. I have a SS 360FM MkII that I use every day as a base station for the past month. Bought it for $60 on eBay; only because it needed several different kinds of internal repairs and a recap job. Cosmetically a 9 out of 10. Is only a single final radio, but unlike the Ranger versions, it is VERY stable in SSB mode.

The Cobra 148 GTL/DX came in the early version with the MB8719 PLL, and the later version came with the Motorola MC145106P PLL. The SS 360FM came with the 8719, but the MkII version has the MC145106P PLL.

I would NEVER put a Snubber in this radio.
In fact, I took one out of it when I restored it . . .

Reactions: LeapFrog
So the Cobra 148 GTL/DX was a dual final radio?
Nothing wrong with 95-100% modulation, I see why the "snubber" is not needed.
Side Question: Can a traditional "snubber circuit" contain a diode in series with the resistor and still be called a snubber?

I wouldn't mind owning one of "the exports that started it all", it would be a nice addition to my export & cb collection. I also see why they are sought after.

Any thoughts on the Uniden/President Jackson? I'm looking for a 10 meter (or 11/ export) mobile model that came with dual finals, ssb, fm, am, cw and or pa that was also made by Uniden.
Thank You.

Last edited:
Nope; they are all single-final radios - BTW.

I have a SS Jackson; my favorite SSB radio. They do not have a dual-final either, they use a single Motorola MRF477, which is a 40w device. AM performance is dismal; but SSB is over the top - IMO. It is the receive and transmit on SSB that is best, if that is what you need . . .

Last edited:
I think I found the "hidden gem" I was looking for: The Jackson, with an MRF477 dual finals are not needed, I have just read here that the Jackson uses low level modulation (second to last paragraph). I wonder how I can verify this, and or compare the schematic to an ept3600 to clone the setup for an experiment i'm working on.

Need an old MRF477, I have an MRF646 for UHF any traders out there?

Last edited:
I think I found the "hidden gem" I was looking for: The Jackson, with an MRF477 dual finals are not needed, I have just read here that the Jackson uses low level modulation (second to last paragraph). I wonder how I can verify this, and or compare the schematic to an ept3600 to clone the setup for an experiment i'm working on.

Need an old MRF477, I have an MRF646 for UHF any traders out there?
IIRC, the current requirements for the chassis for dropping in a MRF477 will exceed the specs for the mode selector and a few other critical points in the radio circuit. Perhaps not such a good idea.

Well Robb, i've always loved a good challenge I don't mind changing out the mode selector switch and a few other points in the radio for testing purposes and as always anything that I build will be over engineered to avoid common failure points

Let us know how you get on.

There have been a few MRF477s floating around on eBay; don't know if I would trust them. But some have bought them and claimed they worked. Just a 'heads up' . . .

For starters: [photo="medium"]4316[/photo] I might just try to find a president Jackson. I'm sure that It could be made to work but it's never going to look professional using the wrong kind of board.

@1:40 it looks like someone could dual final this 148GTL-DX w/ a PB-010AB board (is this a Uniden board? It looks like their work/marking).

Jentec COB 1, means it has a Jentec UK FM board added i'm guessing.
I thought the 148GTL-DX had FM mode, I guess not!

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.