• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Any thoughts on this wire antenna?

Mudduckmobile

Oct 5, 2015
S.W. Washington Coast
This is called a "Bi-square" or "Saturn" antenna. Any of you wire antenna guys know about this?
I was looking at this today....again, and I don't see nor can I fine any measurements for the gap at the top of the antenna.
And could I use a bit of 75 ohm coax as a matching stub or would it be best to just use the same wire as the antenna?
Anyone know where I can find some more reliable info on this antenna?
Thank you!
http://cb-antennas.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/saturn1.pdf

I don't know much about it but it looks like a fun project. You might be able to get a match with the 75 ohm coax but it would have more loss. It would be best to use balanced feed line like they recommend. I would use the same wire to build the ladder line.

I may have missed it but I didn't see any mention of a balun. I would use a 1:1 balun where the ladder line and coax meet.

The gap at the top shouldn't be too critical. It looks like it's spaced 65mm....I looked up the insulator on the website he linked and put the description into google translator.

65mm lang - 15mm breit - 8mm hoch = 65mm long - 15mm wide - 8mm high

Interesting read thanks for posting the link.

I am curious as to height AGL the dipole was modeled at?
Looking at the lobes I would think 1wl AGL,

Wonder if instead of an open end at the top, if a resistor could be placed there to have a direct feed 50 ohm match,

Might be worth playing with just to see how it does

Also reduce each side to 3/4 wl to achieve a 50 ohm impedance at the feedpoint.. Dunno what this would do for the radiation pattern though.

I have an unused pully on the tower I may play around with this one see how it does

I don't know much about it but it looks like a fun project. You might be able to get a match with the 75 ohm coax but it would have more loss. It would be best to use balanced feed line like they recommend. I would use the same wire to build the ladder line.

I may have missed it but I didn't see any mention of a balun. I would use a 1:1 balun where the ladder line and coax meet.

The gap at the top shouldn't be too critical. It looks like it's spaced 65mm....I looked up the insulator on the website he linked and put the description into google translator.

65mm lang - 15mm breit - 8mm hoch = 65mm long - 15mm wide - 8mm high
Good look'en thank you.

Interesting read thanks for posting the link.

I am curious as to height AGL the dipole was modeled at?
Looking at the lobes I would think 1wl AGL,

Wonder if instead of an open end at the top, if a resistor could be placed there to have a direct feed 50 ohm match,

Might be worth playing with just to see how it does

Also reduce each side to 3/4 wl to achieve a 50 ohm impedance at the feedpoint.. Dunno what this would do for the radiation pattern though.

I have an unused pully on the tower I may play around with this one see how it does
Let me/us know if you do it, (3/4 wave) it would be nice not have to match it. Just plug and play. And what type of resistor would be needed if put at the top?

Man-o-Man. The W8ji link is soooooo cool, Thank you! And I meen the whole site, I am learning so much stuff here. Things I thought I knew some about, I knew nothing about, I'm really getting something from this. Thank you again.

FWIW Tom (Charles), W8JI knows his stuff. He is the amplifier designer for Ameritron BTW.

I also think he(W8JI) was asked by Heathkit to help with design of the SB-220/1 and the SB-1000 amplifiers...
Antenna and Amplifier info...I would trust Him (W8JI) and Bill Orr's info before all else!
All the Best
Gary
Thank you. This is some of the best info. I have gotten on this form. A true school on antennas, and radio too.Thank you.
Do you think I can use the BuxComm 1080T2FD-1400 on 11 meters and see a swr below 1:4 as my amp does not like to high swrs+1:4) with out useing an ATU?
Once I get my ticket I can use the other bands....After my wife heals up from her operation I can test at last....this has been a bad last 2 years for her.....I kind of have become house bound caring for her.... but thats cool and not what I'm talk about....
Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
ON4UN has some good low band DXing books also
Bill ORR good one BJ definite read material in the shack

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.