• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Any Vehicle AC Wizards out there?

Wire Weasel

Senior Moment
Dec 13, 2008
'95 GMC 1/2 ton pickup V8

Fan - Vent Control problem

With Vent Control all the way to left, this is ALL Top Position. All air blows out the top dash vents.

It DOES this as normal with Fan (plain air) only. All air blows out top vents as should.

When you punch in the AC, the Vent Control moves itself to a different position even though knob hasn't been touched. Just trickle of air comes out top vents and most blows out the bottom, like for heat.

AC working normally, compressor runs fine, creating very cold air....just blowing out the wrong vents when calling for AC.

Anyone know what is wrong with the Fan / Vent Control system?

Thanks

Those models are bad about needing a new control panel ... it's kinda like a plug and play module that controls the vacuma nd electrical ciomponents ... $100 to $150. Find an auto parts store that handles AC/Delco or get from a dealer.

TNX everyone. That link might be helpful SW. I did have to replace the battery last fall and it was probably after AC season as I recall. I've done the power disconnect & restore as they suggested. It's starting to look like I have a bad actuator.

Check for a loose nut behind the wheel, my wife says that is what is wrong with my Jeep :LOL:

Ah I'm too busy looking for loose nuts at the end of microphones
electricf.gif

Wire Weasel, and to anyone else who might want to know:

there is no such thing as "A/C season". you should run your A/C for about 5 minutes every week, all year long, regardless of the weather.

the reason for this is that when you run the A/C system, there is an oil in the coolant that coats all the little O-rings in the A/C system and keeps them from drying out and leaking all the coolant out into the atmosphere.

take it from someone who lives in the desert heat, and used to work at an auto shop here.
this is BIG BUSINESS here every summer and not one service writer in this town will tell you what i just told you because they get between 800-1200 dollars to repair an A/C system that this has happened to.

some vehicle owners manuals have this tidbit of advice in them, but i dont think they all do.

do this, and your A/C system will last for years and years, and when it finally doesnt blow ice cold air anymore, you really will be able to get away with just a recharge of the system. (this service is what they advertise to get you in the door, then they tell you the bad news. that they cant recharge your system because the coolant would just leak out into the air, and the EPA wont let them do that.)

the thing is, its not a scam, so you cant just complain to the local news about it. LOL

hope this saves someone some hassle and some money in the future.
LC

TNX LC but that's not my problem.

It is appearing that one of the ductwork motor-actuators has gone bad.

i was jut putting that out there for anyone's info. you had mentioned that you replaced the battery after "A/C season", and i saw an opportunity to inform.

i wish i could be more help with your actual problem.
i i probably would have lead you to the same thread.
good luck with it,
LC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.