• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anyone ever use one of these?

I've installed a counterpoise on my VX-8R. I ran some tests with the stock antenna, a comet whip antenna, and the comet whip antenna with a counterpoise using an RF meter. The counterpoise, without a doubt, makes a difference. I should provide a video of my results. Whats interesting is that the field strength varies depending on where the counterpoise is pointing, but overall, it was definitely higher with the counterpoise than without.

Doubt I'd pay $31.95 for one. You can make one for less than a buck, or nothing if you have the parts laying around.

I sure would like to see a video of your findings.

I quickly took these videos a few minutes ago. Anyway, I'm not sure how valid these test cases are. I'm using an Olson SWR & F.S. Meter sitting about a foot away from my handheld. I kept forgetting the name of my Diamond antenna, lol.

Diamond SRH940, no counterpoise:
Yaesu VX-8R Diamond SRH940 antenna without a counterpoise - YouTube

Diamond SRH940, with counterpoise:
Yaesu VX-8R Diamond SRH940 antenna with counterpoise - YouTube

Stock antenna, no counterpoise:
Yaesu VX-8R stock antenna without a counterpoise - YouTube

In summary, the field strength for each case:
Stock antenna, no counterpoise: 2.
Diamond SRH940, no counterpoise: Around 2.9
Diamond SRH940, with coutnerpoise: 4

Reactions: 1 person
Can you describe what you did exactly? It looks like you bent the wire around the joint which was attached to the SMA piece, but what did you do with the rest of the wire? Just let it stick to the ground? I have that same antenna and would love a little better reception, but your video didn't show enough IMO

You just let the wire dangle below the Handi Talkie, it serves to act as the other half of the antenna that is missing.
Yes, it connects to the grounded part of the SMA connector.

Jeff

I've been using the counterpoise for some time now, and another benefit of them, is that if you're using one on the smaller H/T's (Icom E90, TH 7 etc) they run cooler than without the wire!

Regards, Ken.

I've been using the counterpoise for some time now, and another benefit of them, is that if you're using one on the smaller H/T's (Icom E90, TH 7 etc) they run cooler than without the wire!

Regards, Ken.

I'm guessing that there is less heat because there is less reflected power back into the radio with a working counterpoise ('tiger tail') . . .

Less heat because of an antenna mismatch? Or less heat because there aren't as many repeat transmissions so less use of the chassis for a heat sink, which sounds much more likely.
- 'Doc

Less heat because of an antenna mismatch? Or less heat because there aren't as many repeat transmissions so less use of the chassis for a heat sink, which sounds much more likely.
- 'Doc

It's due to the 'tiger tail' acting as 'the other half' of the rubber duck antenna, as opposed to the chassis of the H/T doing that job without the counterpoise being added......So your 'likely' assumption is correct!

My main operating, (about 90%), is from mountain tops in the 'SOTA' program.

I carry a Diamond X5000 antenna as the main set up for 2m 70cms and 23cms, but use an H/T regularly from summits with a 'super gainer type

antenna and find that adding the 'tail' adds between 3 and 5 S points both ways.

If I connect an H/T to the main antenna, I remove the tail, as it makes no difference when connected to an external aerial.

Regards, Ken.

These will come in handy

Anything like this that would help with the UHF side of any of the Wouxun Talkies would be a good thing. Sensitivity on the UHF side is really lacking.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.