• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anyone ever use one of these?

Works.very well.
Yup. Going tomake two more for 222&440.
They will need to be different lengths than the 2m radio.

The 70cm/440 radio will need a tail to be about 6 1/2 inches long.

Beetle; what is the 1/4 wave length for the 220mhz band?
Can't recall right now - ATM.

So, find the formula that is used to determine one wavelength at ~220mhz; and then divide by 4. Done.

Using a thf6 tri-band HT. OK made on for 2m soldered circular attached between ant and case with a flat washer. Going to make one for 70cm. Plan to keep them stowed away in my wallet.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Using a thf6 tri-band HT. OK made on for 2m soldered circular attached between ant and case with a flat washer. Going to make one for 70cm. Plan to keep them stowed away in my wallet.

IIRC; the 19 1/2 inch tail will work for both 2m and 70cm.
Just add another tail for 220mhz and you are done.

IIRC; the 19 1/2 inch tail will work for both 2m and 70cm.
Just add another tail for 220mhz and you are done.

OK whoops. Heres a .19 1/2 and 6 1/2.
47bd3396-fe1f-a5a9.jpg

So, find the formula that is used to determine one wavelength at ~220mhz; and then divide by 4. Done.

Just a tad over a foot.

As for the "just let it dangle" theory, I recommend something like a 1/4-20 nut on the far end just to keep the wire reasonably straight and vertical. If it's all snarled up, you're adding weird amounts of inductance which might affect the range. Doesn't have to be really heavy.

Just a tad over a foot.

As for the "just let it dangle" theory, I recommend something like a 1/4-20 nut on the far end just to keep the wire reasonably straight and vertical. If it's all snarled up, you're adding weird amounts of inductance which might affect the range. Doesn't have to be really heavy.

I use a small chunk of candle wax . . . But I use 24 gauge wire too . . .

I use a small chunk of candle wax . . .

Sounds good. In the picture I posted I am using 30 strand copper not sure the gauge but it def is straight down. Ill try the wax ball. But that might be messy being in wallet. I am going to use a glass bead.

Reactions: 1 person
2 Meters = 19.5 inches
220 = 11.5 inches
440 = 6.5 inches

Jeff

Than what's the 6 1/2 " tail for ?...I think someone posted that up a few.

Originally Posted by Beetle
A 1/4 wavelength on 2M is very close to 3/4 wavelength (odd number of quarter wavelengths) at 70cm. Shouldn't need two separate tails. For 220, however, a separate 1/4 wave tail would probably work better.

The 2m tiger/rat tail will also work on 70cm/44mhz as a counterpoise. It will be a 3/4 wave length counterpoise on 440mhz; but it will still be resonant just the same. So, just use that one - and then cut another 11.5 tail for 220mhz. Two tails will cover all three bands - as Beetle said.
Done.

Last edited:
The 2m tiger/rat tail will also work on 70cm/44mhz as a counterpoise. It will be a 3/4 wave length counterpoise on 440mhz; but it will still be resonant just the same. So, just use that one - and then cut another 11.5 tail for 220mhz. Two tails will cover all three bands - as Beetle said.
Done.

Thanks for posting that, tapatalk sucks. I want to experiment and make four wooden dowles into a ground plain pointed at a downward slope attached to ht with 4x 19 1/2 tails... or each wooden dowle uses 4.875" of wire to = 19.5"

probably wont do anything but poke an eye out.

Thanks for posting that, tapatalk sucks. I want to experiment and make four wooden dowles into a ground plain pointed at a downward slope attached to ht with 4x 19 1/2 tails... or each wooden dowle uses 4.875" of wire to = 19.5"

probably wont do anything but poke an eye out.
I wouldn't bother; but knock yourself out if you must!
lol!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.