• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

anyone hear of this place?

airplane1

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 15, 2005
Lebanon county PA
Any one know this place and or have work done there (Live Wire Communications Harrisville, PA)

I got a grant lt that is needing work, I got it hopeing I can get it going.

It lights up but no sound so I tested it as follows,

I hooked up a known good mic, powered it up, all lights work. I have no sound at all, no needle movement at all in receive. I key mic and no meter movement or light change to show transmit. It is the same in am,LSB and USB.

It is acting the same as if there is no mic connected, you know like if you have a grant xl and unhook the mic the lights stay lit but no sound or meter movement.

the only thing I did not try is an external speaker as I dont have one right now. I will get one soon and try it.

thats what I got for now, any ideas so far?

I opened the top cover and seen a black burn mark on the inside cover, looked down on board and solder looks a bit burnt on a spot on the board so I took off the bottom cover and speaker wires are unsoldered and the burnt piece I found looks like the small diode D44. there is also a small board with components on it wraped in foam and black tape. with a sticker saying Live Wire Communications Harrisville PA and Install Preset/ align 4/28/01.

I dont know what a preset is unless it is the board taped up inside.

Any info for me to know whats up? Is this fixable? I sure hope.

I dont know if I posted this in the right section but there it is.

Roger

Yea, I thought about sending it to him, he did work for me before. I just was wondering what the board is that was put in by Live Wire Communications and thought someone knew from dealing with them. I did a search on the internet with no luck.

I want it back to stock and working.

Roger

bigred222 said:
i Saw that when i was going on vacation but my dads like NOES WE ARE NOT GOING IN THERE.

Wow....You passes one of the best tech in PA.....That I know of...I know Bob for atleast now......21 years...

Peace and Good Luck...

Yota

Live Wire wnet out of business some years ago. some of their techs formed what is now known as 12-Volt CB Shop in the same town.

As for the board they installed, the only board I ever saw from them was a preset echop board. You couldn't shut it off, and it was not adjustable. Sounded really nasty to me with as much echo as they preset it for, but we each have our own tastes.

Hey DTB,

Can you check the LT out for me and tell me what is involved and a estamated cost to repair it?

I dont want an echo board in it, just want it stock and working again. I has what I think is a burned D44.

Thanks,
Roger

Like DTB said they are know called 12 Volt. It's 3 of the same guys that were at Live Wire. I would not recomend em at all. If anything it is a "Hack Shop". If ya go through that area alot just go to Bob's in Strattenville,Exit 70. He is on the North side of I-80 right off the exit.

live wire/12 volt is a hack shop i wouldnt reccommend them to
anyone.bobs down the road im sure does better work.im
not sure how far down the road though.as they changed the
exits numbers.12volt used to be exit 3 im only about 25miles
west/northwest from there

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.