• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anyone into Shortwave out there?

C

Charger383

I personally like listening to Shortwave better than CB. There is such a wide range of conversations taking place all over the world.

Charger

fd91.gif

</p>

i agree,

i have jrc nrd-545 with all the options and i love it.

there is so much to listen to above and beyond ham/cb stuff.

what kind of antennas are people out there using.

i have a 75' long wire and discone for above 30mhz.

</p>

I had a long wire and a discone as well. I was always disapointed in the way that the discone performed, but as far as the long wire goes, I had a MFJ antenna tuner and that was fantastic. I could listen to anything I wanted to.

charger1001.gif
</p>

charger,

i have the icom 7000 or 7100 discone.

the reason i went with that is it has a "n" connector on it, instead of the uhf connector. it wasnt cheap but it was worth it.

i can pick taxi cabs over 50 miles away.

</p>

Also into SW rather than CB/HAM. For antennas the long wire works best and doesn't require a tuner /. Lots of good inexpensive SW units out there, It used to be Sony only before but now the Sangeans are catching up. The big rigs like Kenwoods and Yaesus are good for SSB listeners, if you're inte straight SW I think the portables do pretty well.

I would go with the large table tops that have coverage of the whole radio spectrum all the way to the highest frecuencies, but not for SW only. If your main intrest is SW only the portables do really good. Good Dxing !!!!!!!!!!

Dr. N

</p>

Dr N,

I kinda agree with you on what you say about getting one of the bigger rigs. I have a Yboy 400 and it's alright for in the states, but you get to Alaska and it's pretty much useless unless you can install a outside antenna.

I some day will go with one of the big rig's; Kennwood, Helicrafters, Drake etc. These rig's are just outstanding for for the receive.

I seen on web site a couple days ago that the BBC was shutting down!

DXman

</p>

I used to be really into SW listening but it has kind of died off a bit.Been thinking about getting back into it again.I used to get into LW and AM broadcast listening.It is really amazing what you can hear if you have good enough filters.The Europeans and Central & South America are all over the AM band in between our freq. allocations.I started out with an old Radio Shack DX-160 and had a ball.I now use my Icom-735 and the trusty old Kenwood R-1000.The Kenwood is really a top notch radio for listening,really good front end.Every time I go back into the dealer where I originally bought it in 1985 he wants to buy it back because he has a waiting list for people that want one.That was the reason that I did not sell it.After a year or so I would be at the bottom of the list.LOL.

9VE01 PE993
RCI-2950DX SP1-A Galaxy350XL
82 inch center loaded homebrew

Icom IC-735
D104 Silver Eagle
4 element homebrew horz.</p>

Charger, I am wanting to purchase a shortwave. I have my thoughts set on a 70's model, Panasonic 4900. Whata you think? Any ideas.....?

</p>

I like shortwave just fine.

I have an old Panasonic RF1150B I use with a long wire.

_____

Buttfuzz in the Mobile</p>

Sure can. Well maybe not everything. Just string up a long wire. Nothing fancy.

Main

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub86.ezboard.com/bworldwidecbradioclub.showUserPublicProfile?gid=main@worldwidecbradioclub>main</A> 
usflag2.gif
at: 3/11/03 5:27:03 pm

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.