• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anyone own a Yaesu FT-817nd?

Snake_Eyes

Oct 16, 2005
I just recently acquired the 817nd, and I am very pleased with it. What I like the most about it is the fact that it can be modified with software. That is great. Anyone else running this rig, and what do you do about the lower power output, if anything at all?

Snake Eyes

Damn man, that's a great radio. I've been looking at them recently and love them. Great backpacking radio. Not sure about the 5 watt thing but,there are all mode amps you can use with that radio and gel cell batteries. Hope you enjoy it and if not you know who to call. He He

CDX126:

I'm glad someone else here likes the FT-817nd!! :)

Say, what do you know about those all-mode amps, and can they be modified for 11 meter? I'm guessing they're better than the amps available at places like One Stop and Dave Made, and basically more suitable for radios like the FT-817nd?

Thanks, 126! :)

Snake Eyes

H+Y electronics sells (or at least used to sell) two models, the RM Italy HLA150 and HLA300, that might be just the ticket for that 817. They might also have the versions with built in fans. These are supposed to cover 1.8-30 mhz, all mode.

The 550 is indeed a solid state base amp. It is also VERY low drive, so it would do quite well with the 817 on 10/11 meters. It is only for 26 to 30 MHZ, though, whereas the HLA-xxx models are for HF 1.8-30 MHZ.

I've bought quite a few items from Bandercom, I like them. I have had stuff shipped here to USA, no problems.

Thanks all, for this info! I am really leaning towards the purchase of a KLV-550. I just wonder if the neighbors will feel my roar on one of these?

Snake Eyes

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.